VOIP with Google Voice and Sipdroid

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I was able to get this working. I think your issue is that you are registering with sipgate instead of sipsorcery on your phone. You need to connect to sipsorcery and let the dialplan connect to sipgate.

EDIT:
Maybe I have it. Stupid me would use the + from the stock dialer and then it would just ring and ring...didn't realize that's going thru GV and I needed to hang up and it rings me. Convenient enough, dial with the + directly or set that number in my contacts list, ring once, hang up and then I get the free incoming relayed call. Seems like I can also just dial directly from sipdroid.

My question now is: what's the easiest way to dial this for free directly? The + option is fine, but I'd rather not have to hang-up and wait for the GV call back, and I'd rather not use sipdroid directly. Are those my only two options, or is there a simpler/easier interface? I think the only way to get free is to do the call back with GV - no way to route thru GV without dialing it and ringing you back?

Last edited:

cellphonedork

Reaction score
kodiak.. I hate to sound like out of line here, but what do you want? To have your cake and eat it to? As I said, this is a HACK ON A HACK. So yes, your stuck with using sipdroid directly to make the call or click the number in your contacts folder, hit edit and add the Plus(+) to the back of the number or add it as a secondary nuber in your contacts with the plus(+) added ex: XXX-YYY-1212+. It's not really that hard.
THIS IS FREE INBOUND AND OUTBOUND CALLING. You best make it better and set your GV number as a friends and family number. Also add 916-538-3466 (Google access number). That way, you will not be billed for dialing out from your regular Verizon number or incoming to your regular Verizon number from Google Voice.

I know that this is really confusing and time consuming, but the tutorial gives it all to you, you just need to fill in the blanks.

I do not use this for anything that is dependent on me getting the call. It's a great test bed and would be a wonderful asset when traveling abroad. I use it when I'm at clients houses that do not have cell coverage, but still have wifi. Yes, there are places in the good ol USofA that still have "dead spots" can you hear me now?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
As I said, this is a HACK ON A HACK. So yes, your stuck with using sipdroid directly to make the call or click the number in your contacts folder, hit edit and add the Plus(+) to the back of the number or add it as a secondary nuber in your contacts with the plus(+) added ex: XXX-YYY-1212+. It's not really that hard.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I was taking advantage of all the features. I think I will add a secondary contact with the +, I was just confused that you still had to go thru the call back feature when dialing directly with sipdriod apparently circumvents that. Thought maybe there's a longer number to create a secondary contact with that would route it through sipdroid initially instead of GV thus circumventing the need for the call back.

I could always set sipdroid to be the default dialer when I have the app running, but I haven't completed my testing of the number to start doing that for business (would not want to forget and make unintended calls with sipdroid).

I actually get better reception in my apartment over WiFi than VZW, though for some reason the headset and speakerphone don't work with sipdroid, but I'm guessing bluetooth will (haven't tested yet).

Last edited:

orion2001

Reaction score
Wow! This thread was a goldmine and the GoogleDoc file was just amazing. A big thanks to all the wonderful folks who put the time and effort into making that guide. I followed it to the T and I have successfully managed to get sipdroid working with sipgate via sipsorcery. Incoming and outgoing both work beautifully as well. I just have one question and I was hoping some of you guys might be able to help me out.

The problem I have currently is that when I call my regular Verizon number (It is listed under Google Voice, and I use Google Voicemail for my Verizon number. However, GV is set to forward to my sipgate number, not Verizon) from my fiancee's phone, the call goes through just fine...however, if I then decline the call, it doesn't actually hang up on her end, and instead I then get an incoming call from her, via Sipdroid! I have no idea why I am having her call rerouted via sipdroid when I reject it normally. I'm thinking that this is some setting in GV that is somehow forcing rejected calls on my Verizon line to be forwarded to Sipdroid, but for the life of me I can't figure out what setting to change or where to look.

I'm assuming this isn't sipdroid/sipgate/sipsorcery related as those should only come into play if the call was being made to my GV number. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a ton!

PS - I've attached a basic view of my GV forwarding settings

Last edited:

cellphonedork

Reaction score
An alternate to sipsorcery is to use a custom built Asterisk PBX in a Flash.

This is more info that I can handle right now. I've built a few of these (previous builds), but have to find the time to start from scratch with this one.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
New update integrates contacts right into Sipdroid! Looking forward to trying it out. Hopefully my headset will work with it now, as well.

orion2001

Reaction score
New update integrates contacts right into Sipdroid! Looking forward to trying it out. Hopefully my headset will work with it now, as well.

I'm a little confused by the contacts thing. If I set Sipdroid to not make calls by default, and then browse through contacts from within sipdroid, it still tries making the call via my regular network, ie, not through Sipdroid.

Not sure how to get the contacts from within Sipdroid to work so I don't have to manually type in numbers or activate the Sipdroid overrides the phone option.

Anybody have any ideas?

cellphonedork

Reaction score
Dial a + after the number (works in sipdroid contacts and modifying regular contacts). Alternatively you could set Sidroid to make all calls in the sipdroid settings menu.

orion2001

Reaction score
Turns out you can go through your regular contacts, click on the messaging icon instead of Phone, then touch the SMS option, and it should ask you what software you wish to use to SMS...select Sipdroid, and Sipdroid will call your contact :).

As for dialing a +, while I know that can be done, is there an easy way to display the number onscreen when you choose a contact so you can easily add a + to it and call? Right now it seems like I have to actually go in and edit the contact and add the + permanently and then make the call, which is quite a pain.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Turns out you can go through your regular contacts, click on the messaging icon instead of Phone, then touch the SMS option, and it should ask you what software you wish to use to SMS...select Sipdroid, and Sipdroid will call your contact :).

As for dialing a +, while I know that can be done, is there an easy way to display the number onscreen when you choose a contact so you can easily add a + to it and call? Right now it seems like I have to actually go in and edit the contact and add the + permanently and then make the call, which is quite a pain.

Create a duplicate number with the + for your contacts. Dial directly from sipdroid.

You can also use sipdroid as the default dialer, but I'm guessing that's not preferable. GV offers an option to always ask before dialing, but I find that kind of annoying.

I don't have a ton of contacts, so I'll add the number with a +. This is good because if I want to use VoIP, I have to launch sipdroid, anyway, and now I can easily click on a contact to dial.

heatmisr

Reaction score
If this isn't a good spot to post this, please let me know and I will start a new thread.

I am having quite a few problems. Here are my settings:

1) I have my cellphone set up to use my GV voicemail instead of VZW.

2) I have GV set up to forward to my sipgate number. The sipgate number is listed as a home phone.

3) Sipgate is a registered provider on sipsorcery.

4) I have 2 sip clients binded, the x-lite softphone on my desktop and the sipdroid client on my droid.

There is definitely something wrong with my configuration. Here is what is happening:

1) If I call my GV number, I get my voicemail before I get the call on sipdroid. If the call does come through before the vm picks up, I answer on sipdroid, then it gives me the regular phone app to answer. Once i answer the regular phone app, I get disconnected because the caller is still being sent to vm.

2) If I call my cell number, the call rings about 7-8 times and then it gets forwarded to my sipgate number and sipdroid. The caller never gets voicemail.

3) If my phone is powered off, the call is routed straight to my sipgate number and the caller, somehow, leaves a message in my VZW mailbox, not GV.

4) I just checked my sipgate account and all the test calls I just made were counted against my free minutes.

Outbound calls seem to be working fine.

If anyone can help me with this, I sure would appreciate it

kunal

Reaction score
I setup Sipdroid with Sipgate and Google voice. Basically in Sipdroid I connect directly to sipgate. I make calls from GV and have it call my Sipgate #.

However, when I load up the phone, I find that the call from Sipdroid is in the call log. Does this mean I'm using minutes? Do I have to set up using sipsorcery, etc?

Any help is appreciated.