voice dialing grossly inaccurate

journalboy

Reaction score
I've tried voice dialing and speak very clearly the name of someone in my contacts -- "Rosalie" -- and her number is in there under her name. But instead I get a list with "Bill" and few other contacts nowhere near the "R"s.
What's up with that?

I've seen others here say they simply use Google voice for the task with no problem. Well, I registered and downloaded it and when I created a required pin it churned a bit and then told me it could not verify my phone number, try again, the very number I'd just used to have it email me the download link.

I Googled that problem and some say you have to be "invited" by someone to get Google voice.

Whatever.

Any advice on voice dialing?

On this one, I miss opening my old clam shell phone, pressing a button on the side as I did so, and saying simply "Rosalie"......not even "call Rosalie" but just saying the name.
And when I closed the clam shell the call was ended, even with my eyes closed. What an amazing technology.
Nowadays I push a button to get the screen re-lit, squint to find and rub the pertinent portion of the screen end the call. That's progress, I suppose.

OP
J

journalboy

Reaction score
I've tried voice dialing and speak very clearly the name of someone in my contacts -- for example, "Rosalie" -- and her number is in there under her name. But instead I get a list with "Bill" and few other contacts nowhere near the "R"s.
What's up with that?

I've seen others here say they simply use Google voice for the task with no problem. Well, I registered and downloaded it and when I created a required pin it churned a bit and then told me it could not verify my phone number, try again. I did, and got same result. This was the very phone number I'd just used to have it email me the download link.

I Googled that problem and some say you have to be "invited" by someone to get Google voice.

Whatever.

On this one, I miss opening my old clam shell phone, pressing a button on the side as I did so, and saying simply "Rosalie"......not even "call Rosalie" but just saying the name.
And when I closed the clam shell the call was ended, even with my eyes closed. What an amazing technology.

selluminis

Reaction score
I have had that issue too. The voice dialing is horrible on the X and the orig Moto Droid. However, on my orig Droid, the speech to text seemed to work okay. On the X it is not even close.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't use voice dialing. Try using your search button, press microphone, and then say "call mom." It works better.

If the X has that. I'm assuming it does.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't use voice dialing. Try using your search button, press microphone, and then say "call mom." It works better.

Just tried this and it works great, well good, if I use Voice Search, but not if I use Voice Dialer. Good tip HB.

2010 ZR1

Reaction score
I've tried voice dialing and speak very clearly the name of someone in my contacts -- "Rosalie" -- and her number is in there under her name. But instead I get a list with "Bill" and few other contacts nowhere near the "R"s.
What's up with that?

I've seen others here say they simply use Google voice for the task with no problem. Well, I registered and downloaded it and when I created a required pin it churned a bit and then told me it could not verify my phone number, try again, the very number I'd just used to have it email me the download link.

Whatever.

Nowadays I push a button to get the screen re-lit, squint to find and rub the pertinent portion of the screen end the call. That's progress, I suppose.

You did have to be invited before, but I believed that they opened it to everyone. I would try gesture search if you could, it does require you to write the name though. Also you may be able to calibrate the voice search app, I didn't see an option for it though. Also I have the last names of everyone in my phone book, this helps to narrow it down, like instead of "Call Rosalie" I would say "Call Rosalie Johnson" and that should keep it from jumping around. One last suggestion, I notice that when people have names that aren't as common, such as Mittesh, you may have to say the name the way the computer thinks it is said unless you can set a certain sound or calibrate it, so maybe try Rose-a-lie and see if that will bring it up, let us know what you find.

jnmilli352

Reaction score
Someone def. needs to fix the voice dialing it is crap, what is the deal with no blue tooth dial either my old blackberry storm one had these features and the recognition was spot on.That is about the only thing I miss.

khebberd

Reaction score

I also have issues with the voice dial ( motorola Milestone) but when I use voice search "call mom" returns a google search for "call mom" If I voice search from within the contacts I can get it to find the contact I want but then I have to manually complete the call. Any ideas how I get "call mom" to actually call mom?