Voice Commands With Bluetooth

SorenW

Reaction score
So, my Droid (Motorola A855) is my first phone of this type, so bear with me.

With my old phone (Samsung Alias) when I have my bluetooth headset (Jabra BT500) connected, I could push a button on my headset and tell the phone to call someone.

How can I do this with my Droid?

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Short answer, you can't. It's one of the most disappointing parts about the Droid. Feel free to search this forum for a longer answer. Supposedly, it's one of the top issues (that I hope 2.1 will fix, but don't know if it will). The capability is there, but disabled in the code for some reason. There are 3rd party apps (HF Dialer, or something like that?) that help with this, but I don't think it's really a full replacement. I feel your pain bigtime and hope it gets fixed soon.

EDIT: "bdbraaten and I are in sync apparently""

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah I am bummed my Poineer head unit tells me that the device is not supported when I try and use BT Voice dialing :( I hope some time in the future there is a fix for it

-=Jason=-

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Two things. First, it's an Android omission. All Android phones have this "issue." Second if you really do want voice calling there are apps in the Market but for true hands free the Blue Ant Q1 headset will work. It is limited however to only 8 contacts.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Two things. First, it's an Android omission. All Android phones have this "issue." Second if you really do want voice calling there are apps in the Market but for true hands free the Blue Ant Q1 headset will work. It is limited however to only 8 contacts.

Ok, allow me to rephrase, Android. That is what I actually meant, sorry about that. I know the workarounds, but it is still odd quirk in the system.

griz8791

Reaction score
A detailed technical explanation can be found here: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/99067#99067

I interpret it to mean the code for hands-free voice dialing exists in the OS but has been disabled for at least the time being because the engineers who wrote the code didn't think they were getting a strong enough signal from the bluetooth device.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah there are apps that can allow you to use voice dial from your bluetooth as hookbill stated. That is one way around it. Some bluetooth headsets actually have their own builtin voice dialing systems, i know a few members have stated theirs do, but limits them to like a hand-ful of numbers in it.