VM Heap Size

t1.8matt

Reaction score
I'm running Liberty with zepplinrox scripts, v7 speedy, and mashable. I just happened to look at my build.prop tweaks in rom toolbox and noticed the VM heap is turned up to 48. I thought that it was only supposed to be around 32-34? I haven't been having any problems so far with it up that high, just a bit of launcher redraws after exiting an app. Should I turn it down? And how can I help with the redraws?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I run my d1 at a stupid high 52 ha but yea I think 32 is stock android so they just tweaked it up a little shouldn't be an issue

Sent from my evo 3d at 1.8ghz

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Supposedly on the D1 it could split your home launcher at 40 or 48....40 is definitely safe, and on newer devices who knows. Good thing to tweak if you are having memory management issues.

OP
T

t1.8matt

Reaction score
What do you mean tweak it if I have memory management issues? Any examples? Is that something that would help with. The launcher redraws if I messed around with it?

Sent from my Liberated X2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, it definitely helps with launcher redraws. But on the OG, and I'm not sure where, there was a point where too much caused instability. So try 32, and if it's stable but you have issues with you're launcher (lag or redraw), then bump 4 at a time until you get the best results. Some people cranked it up to 60megs without issue, I think.

The other tweaks are locking home in memory by adding a line to the build.prop file and setting to 0 (most roms and some launchers set it to 1, but at 0 it will not be killed). That's the big one.

We talked about changing the VM Heap size. That's also a big one.

The other one, and last to play with, is the JPEG cap. I never really saw much of an impact from that, but again with a lot of widgets or other customizations it takes up graphics memory. So the JPEG cap would, I think, be increasing that memory buffer for graphics.

I've fooled with all these tweaks and my D1 runs great now (just a media device, no VZW service). Also running Pete's latest 2.7 rom. Big thing was I got rid of a lot of apps (have only 48 now) and just running 3 screens and about 10 widgets. It runs smooth as butter. I'm also using a light launcher - Tag Home.

Finally, you have to take a good look at the apps you want. Ultimately the D1 is limited for ram - and Pete's is the best I've seen but it only leaves you with 80-90megs free. If you run Swype, it takes up a huge amount of ram, and always wants to re-start itself (which is going to cause something else to be close when you are on the margin). Phandroid is an app that is poorly designed and wants to keep running itself (and for some reason has a fairly high priority). Just a few examples. Apps that have associated background services that you can turn-off will ultimately cause other apps/services to be killed that you might not want.

OP
T

t1.8matt

Reaction score
Wow, I wouldn't know how to any of that besides changing the heap size. Some of it that though like locking the launcher in memory I don't know if I would want to do, mainly because with the supercharger script I'm running, it recommends not having it locked in. I'll definately try messing with the heap size to see if that makes any difference. Thank you for the informational reply, that's great how people around here really try to help one another out.

Sent from my Liberated X2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They are easy changes by editing the build.prop file. Just changing the numbers for JPEG and VM Heap. Locking launcher in memory is just a line to add: ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=0 (I think)

Can't remember if I was running the supercharger script or not. All it really does is add about 10-12 lines into the build.prop file. So I junked the script and everything with it and just manually added those lines to my build.prop file, along with the other adjustments mentioned.