Viruses, keyloggers, etc.

nakhleh926

Reaction score
I know they are possible to get on your phone (though rare), I was curious how they worked. Do you have to install an application or can you get a keylogger by simply opening a web page?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

eewny

Reaction score
I worry about this as well. I think the biggest risk comes from a rooted device. Normally your fine but if you load an app from third party or some fix someone posts you technically could be getting a file that pulls data or makes a change to your system.

I think you should see a message that su is being used but im not an expert. The reason I worry is I've got the google login error a couple times mostly after putting on custom rims. From what I can tell its google noticing what they consider unusual activity like lots of txt messages of the samekind or lots of html requests that are all the same. They think bots are doing it perhaps. It could be my craigslist app that searches the same thing again and again. Or it could be something bad happening.

Has anyone got that google sign in error With a non rooted phone With no third party apps installed?

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I've worried about downloading a keylogger or other kind of spyware. I've read about that due to the popularity of the Android system, that there may be more that try to exploit it.

I have downloaded "third party apps" but I've not had a problem logging into Goggle. I have surfed the web on my phone, but don't know if I have some "caught" some virus, but don't think that I have.

There are others on this Forum with WAY more knowledge than me regarding this and say that all should be fine. So, until I hear something about it, I'm going to just be cautious about what I do (as I have been, such as, I don't go to weird websites I'm not familiar with) and what till I hear about something that I really need to worry about.

dancedroid

dtsig

Reaction score
I am not one that would ever say that a virus is impossible ... any time you have a computer and someone with the desire they are possible. But on the os it is improbable.
I think it is more possible to have a rogue pc of sw which is designed to get to your information (contacts etc). But worst case will be just poorly written sw which causes problem with other apps. If you are getting an app from other then the market place you will want to review the review ... be sure of what you are getting. Look at what access it requires etc.

OP
N

nakhleh926

Reaction score
thank you guys for all your responses, yeah I'm not worried about getting then from apps because I download trusted ones only and always check the reviews for fishy business, I just meant like, keyloggers from websites. I know they have to be made for the specific OS of android, but is it possible to get a keylogger without downloading an executable file? or is the threat simply there by opening a link? I'm not one to go to many sites (especially bad ones), but when a friend links me something from a site I've never heard of I'd like to be able to click it with a clear mind and not worry about if my facebook, hotmail, google, rdio, and etc. are compromised.