Video: Symbian Exec rips into Google's Android

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can bet your sweet *** he is scared. If they even loose 10% of the market to android that would mean a HUGE loss for symbian / nokia. They are scared of what it will open up, because it seems as though apple and android will soon go to battle. Which usually means bigger and better things out faster and faster, and if they can't keep up they will go the way that palm did. Pre was the first thing palm came out with in a long time that was seemingly worth much.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wow, I can't believe some of the things he said.. Even the reporter was shocked!

OP
J

JohnDroid

I'm shorting Palm right now as we speak. Too bad Symbian isn't public :)

OP
J

JohnDroid

True, they've been hammered quite a bit already... is the room to go? Perhaps!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even though nokia holds what.. around 46% of the worlds market in phones or smart-phones. It will soon see the numbers diminish. They seem to be out of touch with most of the market at the moment. I know there will be certain people that will try to defend and say otherwise but it's true. Nokia has it's fanbois as apple it's isheep.

OP
J

JohnDroid

Even though nokia holds what.. around 46% of the worlds market in phones or smart-phones. It will soon see the numbers diminish. They seem to be out of touch with most of the market at the moment. I know there will be certain people that will try to defend and say otherwise but it's true. Nokia has it's fanbois as apple it's isheep.

I think Nokia has a place in emerging markets... places where a smart phone isn't needed, wanted and is certainly too expensive. So Nokia could suprise easily just on a large carrier purchasing a huge block of $25 cell phones.

We are of course spoiled here in the US, where we don't see a need for them. That's the main thing keeping me from shorting them.. I just don't know enough about the 3rd world/emerging markets.

dean.collins

Reaction score
Yep - the droid is just one handset. Nokia ship a lot of symbian handsets still. Too early to count them out.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not counting them out, merely saying they will see their % in the market fall, and that's why he said what he said. Dean, i didn't just mean the droid itself, but with all the new phones that not only verizon but the other carriers in the states, and now those in the EU, starting to put out more and more units with android on it. Plus Nokia holds the patent rights on alot of hardware used in todays handsets. Def not counting them out, just saying In my opinion they will have a good decline in the market the next couple years.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
wait, "18 devices in development"?? at about the 25sec mark.. what?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
wait, "18 devices in development"?? at about the 25sec mark.. what?

this is pretty much common knowledge now that 2010 android plans to launch close to 20 devices though several manufacturers and carriers.

huh.. i guess i missed that bit o' information.. thanks!

cant get everything.. theres too much going on with this phone and the android platform, the whole internet is buzzing about it.