[video] Review - Companionlink Software

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
The more serious flaw in CompanionLink is that it does not reliably synchronize calendar events. Repeating events seem to be particular trouble spots, but one-off events also sometimes fail to sync or arrive in my Google calendar with the wrong time. This happened to me just last week. I eventually deleted and re-created some repeating events in Outlook and, by using the "Purge and Reload" option, got my Google calendar back in sync -- but only after two or three attempts.

AJ, Thanks for the great comments. CompanionLink 4.0 will make its debut in about a month with revised user interface for Outlook users.

More importantly, please don't blame the Sync for problems with Google. Google has been doing some playing with Calendars the last couple weeks. We've noted a number of affected users, and identified an issue where URL's have been temporarily or permanently changed for some people. There is, of course, no notice to developers or customers when Google's server guys start moving data or changing APIs. We just live with it.

For more dependable Calendar sync to Droid from Outlook use CompanionLink USB. This cuts out the dependence on Google's Calendars, which can and do get arbitrary changes on the server side. It also cuts out the dependence on Android recurring dates, which cannot model all the combinations you can create in Outlook.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Mnotes does say you can install it without having to go through your IT dept.

I guess another question would be as it syncs is it doing so just between the app installed on the android os and the app installed on your desktop that has the Lotus Notes client installed.

The VPN that we use does a couple of things. 1) verifies you are running antivirus from a defined list of antivirus software and then I think it also checks to make sure window's update is up to date. There are exceptions as we had a consultant that only used Linux but for a "just works" I've put off the mnotes solution for this reason...although it says firewall rules don't need to be changed.

I bet the other vendor might supply a free version for comparison reasons, especially if it got a bunch of folks sitting on the fence to make the plunge.

And I know there are demo periods but I trust everyone here much more:)

thanks Tigger for following up on how the sync is made, securely or otherwise.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What is the differences between mnotes from Commontime and this application? (CommonTime : Products : mNotes vs Synchronize Lotus Notes with ACT!, GoldMine, and Palm Desktop in real-time) - has anyone given both a trial run?

I've not tried CommonTime mNotes. From what I understand, their sync is wireless and Domino server based. I.e. your IT department buys it and sets it up, and after they set it all up, you can start using it. They have a wired sync product but as far as I can see it works only with Windows Mobile devices.

CompanionLink is client-side software. You install it on your desktop and it does a wired sync to the Lotus Notes Client software. So you don't need any permissions other than what you have used in the past for other wired sync like Palm Hotsync.

Greetings...somehow I missed that you're the contact for this product here on the forum! If you follow through on the link I provided above there is a "Further details of how mNotes Wireless works and the great range of compatible devices can be found here" link that goes into greater details so you can see how your competitor stacks up. Of interest is the "Install without any IT support, no need to configure your corporate firewall like most corporate email solutions." piece of info. I do not know how they accomplish this and don't know if mail traffic is secure or not.

Tigger suggests using a VPN on the Android phone to accomplish the same but that means that in order to be in sync all the time I would have to be on the VPN all the time. While on our corporate VPN all of our web traffic flows through the company firewall. I know traffic is blocked for gaming, sporting, and I'll bet other sites are blocked as well:)

ajGoes

Reaction score
The more serious flaw in CompanionLink is that it does not reliably synchronize calendar events. Repeating events seem to be particular trouble spots, but one-off events also sometimes fail to sync or arrive in my Google calendar with the wrong time. This happened to me just last week. I eventually deleted and re-created some repeating events in Outlook and, by using the "Purge and Reload" option, got my Google calendar back in sync -- but only after two or three attempts.

AJ, Thanks for the great comments. CompanionLink 4.0 will make its debut in about a month with revised user interface for Outlook users.

More importantly, please don't blame the Sync for problems with Google. Google has been doing some playing with Calendars the last couple weeks. We've noted a number of affected users, and identified an issue where URL's have been temporarily or permanently changed for some people. There is, of course, no notice to developers or customers when Google's server guys start moving data or changing APIs. We just live with it.

For more dependable Calendar sync to Droid from Outlook use CompanionLink USB. This cuts out the dependence on Google's Calendars, which can and do get arbitrary changes on the server side. It also cuts out the dependence on Android recurring dates, which cannot model all the combinations you can create in Outlook.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.

Thanks Wayland. I tried the USB version but gave it up for reasons I can't remember anymore. Having already installed and uninstalled CompanionLink USB on both the phone and my computer, I don't think I can try it again.

aj

kdougery

Reaction score
What OS did you test with? I'm running Win 7 64-bit, which appears to be a challenge for most of the sync software out there.... i've tired gsync and mycalsyn and of course google's sync app... none work properly with outlook 2007 on win 7- 64 bit. Supposedly, CompanionLink will, but I've read many mixed reviews...

Anyone out there tried CompanionLink on 64 bit Win 7??

bd1212

Reaction score
What OS did you test with? I'm running Win 7 64-bit, which appears to be a challenge for most of the sync software out there.... i've tired gsync and mycalsyn and of course google's sync app... none work properly with outlook 2007 on win 7- 64 bit. Supposedly, CompanionLink will, but I've read many mixed reviews...

Umm, bud, you just posted in a 7, almost 8 month old thread. :x

kdougery

Reaction score

Not exactly helpful nor positive, Checkpoint. Thread may be old, but was the most relevant one that I found in reading through the forum. Clearly, you read my post, so why does it matter when the last post on it was???

Is there anyone out there who would like to be helpful re: sync outlook 2007 runing on Win 7 - 64 bit?? Thanks in advance. - Kathryn Ann

bd1212

Reaction score

Not exactly helpful nor positive, Checkpoint. Thread may be old, but was the most relevant one that I found in reading through the forum. Clearly, you read my post, so why does it matter when the last post on it was???

Is there anyone out there who would like to be helpful re: sync outlook 2007 runing on Win 7 - 64 bit?? Thanks in advance. - Kathryn Ann

Just saying because instead of bumping a really old thread, you could have gone to the General Discussion section and posted a new thread in there or emailed the Companionlink support team (if they have one) with your question and you might've got a more direct response.

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
[SIZE=-1]
All CompanionLink Products have been fully compatible with Outlook 2010 since May 2010.

This includes Outlook 2010 32-bit, and Outlook 2010 64-bit. CompanionLink runs on all versions of Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 including 64-bit versions.

For Outlook 2010, Outlook needs to be installed on your Windows Computer. You cannot use the "Click-to-Run" version because that doesn't install the data drivers.

Tech Support
CompanionLink Software, Inc.[/SIZE]

Daali

Reaction score
Does it sync with an older version of Lotus Notes? We are on 5.12 until next quarter

pnc

Reaction score
Companionlink not a good companion

I bought the premium support with the product about a year ago. This software may have more features than others but so far, it has created more issues than would make it worthwhile. It creates duplicates, wipes out data on the blackberry and won't actually sync on a consistent basis. I've had good and very bad experiences with support. They can usually get it working again temporarily but not without dumping what is on the blackberry and me having to remember every change I possibly made or added to the device. Having my contacts are great but I'm definitely looking for an alternative. Premium service means you send in a request and they may or may not get to you within an hour or two or in my case a day or two leaving me without contacts over the weekend. Great idea but a real disappointment.