[VIDEO] Nvidia's Direct Touch Architecture

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;DehlRJZPsDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehlRJZPsDY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Three of the biggest names in the touch controller industry—Atmel, Cypress and Synaptics—are supporting NVIDIA’s DirectTouch architecture. OEMs can now adopt this technology into their NVIDIA-powered devices, allowing for ultra-responsive touch, while reducing battery consumption. Their full press release is below. Be sure to check out the demo above. Enjoy!

Industry Leaders Adopt NVIDIA DirectTouch Architecture

Atmel, Cypress and Synaptics – three of the biggest names in the touch-controller industry – today announced support for NVIDIA’s DirectTouch architecture, originally described at CES 2012 in January. They join Raydium, N-Trig and Focaltech, which also recently officially announced their support.

If you aren’t familiar with DirectTouch, it’s a unique approach that offloads some of the touch processing onto Tegra 3′s CPU cores, resulting in ultra-responsive touch while also reducing power consumption.

Support for DirectTouch by touch-controller partners means OEMs can adopt this technology into their NVIDIA-powered devices to deliver an even better mobile touch experience and feature set.

Jon Kiachian, vice president, Touch marketing, at Atmel said, “We’re pleased to further our relationship with NVIDIA on advancing touch interfaces and enrich user experiences by integrating leading Atmel maXTouch products into NVIDIA platforms using the DirectTouch architecture. Atmel’s capabilities in both analog signal conditioning and our advanced touch processing algorithms make maXTouch the market leading solution today.”

“It’s exciting to work on new ways to deliver higher performance touchscreen solutions,” said John Carey, director of TrueTouch marketing for Cypress. “As the touchscreen leader, we’re pleased to partner with NVIDIA in making the DirectTouch architecture successful.”

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but never once in my usage of a modern smartphone with a CAPACITIVE screen have I ever thought to myself "Gee, the touch processing here sure could use some hardware acceleration......."

Oh well, with all of the excess computing power in these modern phones; you might as well use it for something.

Reaction score
Are you kidding? I came from a D1 using a Galaxy S now and have used my gf's Rezound. They all lag like crazy. Pick up an iphone, the difference is like night & day. Even the GNex has lag with hardware acceleration. So yeah, I'm glad someone is working on this since Android needs a little help. Plus it uses less battery which is always a good thing.

ElijahLynn

Reaction score
Right you are Ken

Are you kidding? I came from a D1 using a Galaxy S now and have used my gf's Rezound. They all lag like crazy. Pick up an iphone, the difference is like night & day. Even the GNex has lag with hardware acceleration. So yeah, I'm glad someone is working on this since Android needs a little help. Plus it uses less battery which is always a good thing.

I very much agree with this. I am on my 3rd Android, which is now the Galaxy Nexus GSM. It is very slow compared to an iPhone. This doesn't mean I will switch but it does mean I will talk about it. This is a very welcomed piece of technology and I very much hope it is implemented in all touchscreens going forward. Galaxy Nexus also advertised no lag camera shutter and wow, there is a 2-3 second lag sometimes.