Very Confused About Rooting Please Help!!

GWDPhotography

Reaction score
Hi All!
I decided to go ahead and root my Droid Razr M tonight. Everything went well and I was able to breeze through all the steps and used root checker to make sure that I had successfully rooted the phone. It said that I successfully rooted the phone, but I am not so certain right now. It was my understanding that when I successfully rooted my phone that I would be able to uninstall the bloatware that came default on the phone. I went into my settings and tried uninstalling the apps like Audible, Zappos, etc and all I get is the option to disable it. Any advice? Any help you all can offer me please?
Gunner out

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Rooting allows you to install apps that will remove the bloat. It doesn't actually give you the option. The best one out there in my opinion is Titanium Backup. But in order to freeze or remove stuff I believe you need to purchase it.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

KaChow

Reaction score
I would stay away from uninstalling the apps, no matter how annoying they are to see them. Instead just as GoCliffGo mentions go with the Titanium Backup/Pro and simply "Freeze" the apps instead. This is a guide that I tend to go by when it comes to finding which apps are safe and unsafe to remove, [REF] Safe applications to freeze to remove Verizon/Motorola bloat - xda-developers . This list does cut the bloat as thin as possible and sometimes almost to close. There are a couple that I steer away from freezing personally like the entitlement, VZWAPANservice, but take your time and find what works best, maximizes battery, etc.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
In the past, removing the bloat apps completely made it where you couldn't get OTA updates unless you re-installed the bloat. So, unless you keep track of what you deleted and put all of them back, you have a problem. Freezing is the better option(for me) because I'm not likely to keep track of what I deleted.
Someone correct me if this has changed.

lwags67

Reaction score
Agree. I deleted bloatware on my D2G after rooting and could not upgrade to ICS from GB. Could never get the deleted bloatware properly reinstalled even though the OTA update told me what was missing. Personally, I have never found any overwhelming reason to root, including jailbreaking an iPhone.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
The main reason I rooted my Droid X was to do screen shots. Now that the M does that I really don't feel a need to root. Would be nice to freeze bloatware but the phone works fine as it is. I have no interest any longer to run ROMs. Did so on the X and was underwhelmed to say the least. JB works fine for me and the M works fine.

pdaniel219

Reaction score
We can "disable" apps on the RazrM. I'm confused now, is that not the same as freezing?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Disabling should essentially be the same thing as freezing but to get the stubborn ones without a disable option, you'll need root.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

KaChow

Reaction score
Both are the same disabling is done usually in the Task Manager, Settings > Apps. Freezing is usually done in Third-Party apps like Titanium Backup, where apps are quickly stopped Frozen and can be quickly Unfrozen when needed when there is root.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2