Verizon's Latest Update For The S7 and S7 Edge Includes DT Ignite BloatWare Installer

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

In the coming days Verizon will be releasing a new OTA update for the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge. The update includes the normal monthly security patch, as well as other tweaks and performance enhancements. One new feature that most S7 and S7 Edge users probably won't be too fond of is the inclusion of DT Ignite. This app is not mentioned in the change log, but it has the ability to quietly install bloatware on the device. In the past DT Ignite was used to reinstall bloatware any time a device is activated, reset, updated, or been factory reset. The app is fortunately pretty easy to disable. Just find the service app in settings and disable it.

via Reddit

more S7 and S7 Edge discussion here

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
The article I read said it could either be completely uninstalled or just disabled. Seems odd that they would allow it to be completely uninstalled but guess we'll see.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This should not be allowed to happen from carriers. I've said it many times, the bloatware that they install on your phones should not be locked down so that you cannot remove it. It is akin to stealing space and resources from your device that is yours, it is not theirs and you are not paying less anymore to have a subsidy (most people aren't, i know some companies have brought them back for some people). They are getting paid by these app developers to put these programs on your phone, so they are getting paid for advertising on your phone with programs in which you cannot delete, which to me is crazy. I could understand if we still had the same modeling for buying phones now a days but we don't. I'm actually quite surprised that this has not come up into a court battle yet.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Key word is "yet". I'm sure somebody will sue them sooner or later. In this case the app can be completely uninstalled according to Verizon. Not sure if I believe them or not though. I don't own the phone or use Verizon so I have to wait and see what others post.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If one of our members that has one doesn't chime in to confirm or deny whether it can be fully uninstalled, I'll report back once my wife's new S7 gets this update. I'll definitely be on the lookout for this garbage.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is the article I read that states that it can be uninstalled:

Verizon's Update To Samsung Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge Brings In Bloatware.

Well according to the pictures in CNET it does not look like you can fully remove it, and I would have to question if you could anyways because if they are saying this is an app that installs items only during resets, wouldn't the app be reinstalled as part of that same reset, except in a soft reset? That means it should be at a different level of integration, and should not be allowed to be removed.

Verizon's update for Samsung's Galaxy S7 installs the king of all bloatware

According to CNET the apps installed by DT Ignite can be uninstalled not the app itself... :rolleyes:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If one of our members that has one doesn't chime in to confirm or deny whether it can be fully uninstalled, I'll report back once my wife's new S7 gets this update. I'll definitely be on the lookout for this garbage.
It is a system app, and so can't be uninstalled unless you are rooted. The update can be rolled back to the originally installed version (the over installed at the factory), but you can only disable that app. You should first uninstall the update, then force stop the original version and finally disable it completely.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It is a system app, and so can't be uninstalled unless you are rooted. The update can be rolled back to the originally installed version but you can only disable that app. You should first uninstall the update, then force stop the original version and finally disable it completely.

Tapping disable in the app settings automatically uninstalls updates.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Tapping disable in the app settings automatically uninstalls updates.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Well yes that usually works as well, but since the question was could it be uninstalled, I just tried to uninstall first and it only gave me the option to roll back so that's the method I chose.

Last edited: