Verizon Will Start Charging a $30 Upgrade Fee Starting April 22nd

alboboy10

Reaction score
I'm leaving Verizon. 220 a month four phones unlimited texting 1400 minutes one smart phone. Ridiculous. Constricted on everything. It's a waste of money

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm leaving Verizon. 220 a month four phones unlimited texting 1400 minutes one smart phone. Ridiculous. Constricted on everything. It's a waste of money

Upgrade Fees
Sprint: $36
AT&T: $36
US Cellular: $30
T-Mobile: $18

My point is that they all charge an upgrade fee, but the majority of them are as expensive, if not more, than Verizon.

roadrageburleson

Reaction score
I remember getting FREE or very cheap upgrades because you were a loyal customer. Now you have to be a new customer and they will give you the world to come into Verizon but now nothing for staying with them for the long haul. It is just the global corporation shift to "who gives a damn about you we will find someone else to bleed dry". Almost every month Direct TV gives me something free or discounted because I have been with them from the start. They continually show that they want my business and they continue to earn it.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
roadrageburleson said:
I remember getting FREE or very cheap upgrades because you were a loyal customer. Now you have to be a new customer and they will give you the world to come into Verizon but now nothing for staying with them for the long haul. It is just the global corporation shift to "who gives a damn about you we will find someone else to bleed dry". Almost every month Direct TV gives me something free or discounted because I have been with them from the start. They continually show that they want my business and they continue to earn it.

Actually, Verizon has always gone above and beyond for me bc I have been a loyal customer (from back in the bell Atlantic days). And by above and beyond I mean they always do more than what I ask for or expect. I do not agree w this fee and will argue not to pay it but I have had no complaints about their cs and know of many ppl who have switched to Verizon bc dissatisfied w cs of their carrier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

traceytaylor

Reaction score
Complain about Verizon's $30 upgrade charge on Twitter!

should we start beating them up via twitter for this garbage...just sayin - DJTaT2 made a good point - enough bad press and maybe they'll do something. But $30.00 is a lot to pass up cuz of bad twitter press.

Yes, let's all post complaints on Twitter. Tweet and retweet!

Boo, Verizon!!

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
Well..> A 450.00 Rezound with a 4.3 " 720 HD screen / 4g wi-fi - enalbled celphone/with mini- 1g of mem.computer-web browser- thats faster than my 2YO laptop /Great GPS/Beats music player/a clock - alarm / 8mg camera with features thats beat my SLR / talks to me/reminds me/wakes me/tweets me/fbs' me/ pays my bills for me / Plays Cable broadcasts-movies for me/corrects my mistakes /takes my pulse/ tells when the rain will come/ blocks my PIA callers/ ...etc..and just needs me to put a little wire up in its tookis and charge it... and sell it to me for 49.95 2 yr. contract and UL data plan. 1400 min. under 95 a month b4 tax.?

Dam I knew the gig would be up ..soon.:)

clintro

Reaction score
I disagree with the fee, just add it to the price of the handset, instead of hiding it in the bill later in the buying process. Don't try and trick people. However, there is no where else to go that has the same service/coverage in my frequent areas. Plus everyone else charges a activation fee to sign up, or a equipment charge to upgrade. I will argue that charge when the time comes and have already sent them an email. let us know if anyone does anything else that may be helpful in getting rid of this extra charge.

layitlo

Reaction score
It's crazy to have to pay a fee to upgrade when we have to pay $50 more per month for us to have a cell that works better then boost. I needed one so I could have good phone service and was going to upgrade a take another contract and that should be what gets rid of the new fee. I haven't of this till now and no I'm not to happy about it.

Killbox90

Reaction score
Truth is companies that have been doing this and now Verizon are because of the large amount they have to subsidize to allow you the consumer to buy that fancy new phone at much less than the retail rate with that contract. Use to be years ago when those popular phones were flip phones or the ever so awesome Env 1, 2, or 3, for example, it wasn't very much. Now these $600 smartphones are drilling a hole in all of these companies pockets slowly. Now our beloved droids aren't all that bad.

But who is the most expensive of them all??!! That's right, Apple's iPhone. So don't go saying your gonna go to AT&T because they cost just as much and their upgrade fee is more. Be mad at those hipster wannabes that buy iPhones.

layitlo

Reaction score
Oh there's no way I'd go to at&t. Verizon and boost are the only two that cover me where I go. But boost is not as good as verizon and their phones aren't any better. I use a droid not because I don't like apple but because I don't agree with being limited to apple. I like the droid freedom I have. I've paid close attention to coverage and I ge way more with verizon then the others. Heck I'd have a pageplus phone if I could get the net like I do on mine. I've made money with my droid to help me pay the bill.

traceytaylor

Reaction score
Retweet!

We should bomb their Facebook. Worked for HTC....

https://www.facebook.com/verizon?ref=ts

What a great idea! I've already bashed them on Twitter. Retweet my post if you'd like:

https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=197750894949961728&tw_i=197750894949961728&tw_e=retweet&tw_p=twt&source=twt

I
also entered their Instagram contest, and posted a BAD VERIZON picture I found on the web. As a description, I entered text describing how they're providing even more incentive for loyal customers to leave them.

oldguy

Reaction score
I guess I won't feel at all bad using up a lot of their time now with stupid questions that they are charging me extra for it. I am just wondering who has ever attended a workshop?

meishkov

Reaction score
I guess I won't feel at all bad using up a lot of their time now with stupid questions that they are charging me extra for it. I am just wondering who has ever attended a workshop?

only thing I can think of is reading through threads on Droid Forums on a device I bought from Verizon, using Verizon's network. That's as close as I've ever gotten to a workshop. I just love how they get to charge us for something that nobody uses or even should use, and probably doesn't even exist.

traceytaylor

Reaction score
Actually, when I was purchasing a cover for my Droid2 maybe two years back, a Verizon store in Downingtown, PA -- one that seemed to be staffed by actual knowledgeable people -- told me about classes they were holding. I didn't attend, but they did hold them. I seek information and learn at a faster rate than most commonfolk, so I was happier learning online from slicker geeks than from mainstream sales guys. Nonetheless, those guys did have some pretty nice apps installed and did provide me a few tips in my early Droid days.

doublejack

Reaction score
Well..> A 450.00 Rezound with a 4.3 " 720 HD screen / 4g wi-fi - enalbled celphone/with mini- 1g of mem.computer-web browser- thats faster than my 2YO laptop /Great GPS/Beats music player/a clock - alarm / 8mg camera with features thats beat my SLR / talks to me/reminds me/wakes me/tweets me/fbs' me/ pays my bills for me / Plays Cable broadcasts-movies for me/corrects my mistakes /takes my pulse/ tells when the rain will come/ blocks my PIA callers/ ...etc..and just needs me to put a little wire up in its tookis and charge it... and sell it to me for 49.95 2 yr. contract and UL data plan. 1400 min. under 95 a month b4 tax.?

Dam I knew the gig would be up ..soon.:)

The actual value of a Rezound is much less than $450. The cost to manufacture it is very likely in the $200 range, as is the case with similar high end smartphones (like the iPhone 4S). It's funny how we *think* we're getting a deal when we qualify for an "upgrade discount" but we are in fact paying the full cost of the phone. We get really worked over when we pay the "full retail" price, which includes a MASSIVE markup.

Still, $50 for a $200 phone is a good deal... but it's not the same as getting something truly worth $450 for that little. If a smartphone like the Rezound were really worth that kind of money, there's no way Amazon could afford to sell the Kindle Fire for $200, for example.

Verizon is nickel and diming customers for another $30... money that just goes straigt to their bottom line. It sucks, but all the other carriers do it, too. :mad: