Verizon Will Start Charging a $30 Upgrade Fee Starting April 22nd

i don't understand what the big deal about the upgrade charge? Every other carrier has had this for some time Verizon is only following in suit. The only carrier with a lower upgrade fee is T-Mobile and good luck getting any service with them.

By great devices I'm sure you mean the Droid X2 which was basically recycled parts from all the Droid X's that were returned for equipment issues fitted with an upgraded processor?

This is the problem with today's corporate society it's just like Hollywood; throw out as much crap as possible and hope some of it sticks to the wall. You don't seriously think it's coincidence that they got rid of all the upgrades forcing people to pay full price for phones less than two years old yet released new devices every few weeks? The Droid 2 world phone had its end-of-life date only three months after it was released. I really wish people would not be ignorant and buy into this garbage. Half the phones being sold are just recycled parts from the last model that they're trying to get rid of before doing a real hardware upgrade.

For example I feel sorry for the people who brought into the droid prime after it was delayed for four months when three months later they are going to be releasing quad core devices. Even better the reason why the phone was delayed, which when you get down to the real reason that phone was delayed, was because Verizon was upset the phone had NFC which was a direct competition of Verizon's upcoming pay system. It was the negotiations with Google and the eventual lock down by VZW of that NFC chip on the phone that caused its delay. Corporate greed strikes again.

Don't even get me started on the release date of the iPhone and how they decided to hold off on certain android phones because they didn't want to be in direct competition with the Apple products. Or then there's the fact that Apple doesn't allow for discounted upgrades to their phones and Verizon use that as an excuse to get rid of all phone early upgrades.

Don't buy into the corporate BS they're not doing you any favors. Read between the lines and do the research or you're going get taken for ride and stuck with the device that's out of date within the next year even though you can upgrade for two years without paying $800 for a phone.

Thalinor do you ever buy anything? B/c if I was as passionate about that stuff as you are, I'd be boycotting everything everywhere... :blink:

Lastly some irony for you, Verizon uses the excuse that there are a few people who tether their devices and suck 100+ gb of data a month as the reason they got rid of unlimited data. What do you think the age group is of the people using that much data? I'm willing to bet 9/10 of those people are the ones posting asking how to teather their Xbox 360/PS3 to their phone. (IE their parents took away the Internet because they were a brat child, and now they're looking for way to circumvent the punishment). That's why we don't have unlimited data anymore; that and corporate greed.

Actually gaming uses very little data about 100MB for 3 hours of game play. I've read several threads about this and watched a few videos on the subject. The people that are really at fault are those that decide to replace their home Internet connection by tethering to their phone. Watching videos is more data intensive that playing a game as the image in a video game is generated locally because you are already running the software. But when you watch a video the image data must be sent over the network.

Thanks.

I bought my original Droid for $150 on a BOGO deal 9 months after release. The Lucid was $80 on release day and the Incredible 3 should be no more than $150 when it comes out (the original Incredible was $200 for the longest time). I'm okay with this trend.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

The subsidized price of smartphones decreased over time after they have been released. Expect the Incredible 4G to. Be atleast $200 if not more.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

i don't understand what the big deal about the upgrade charge? Every other carrier has had this for some time Verizon is only following in suit. The only carrier with a lower upgrade fee is T-Mobile and good luck getting any service with them.

Hey, great argument. Slavery was pretty "cool" back in the day too. Doesn't mean it was RIGHT. It took the right people to realize it was wrong and make a change. This, while not on the same scale, is no different when it comes to doing the RIGHT thing.

Hey, great argument. Slavery was pretty "cool" back in the day too. Doesn't mean it was RIGHT. It took the right people to realize it was wrong and make a change. This, while not on the same scale, is no different when it comes to doing the RIGHT thing.

It's not even on the scale... if you want to get into wrong vs. right, go work for Verizon, work you way up into the CFO's position where you can see exactly where/why this $30 is going into effect, then you can know 100% for sure why it's happening, and then you can truly make a judgment of whether or not it's right or wrong.

It looks bad to the average consumer, yes, but we don't truly know the "why" behind it...

110m3rk.jpg

33x8nt5.jpg

The why behind it is they want us to pay for their tower upgrades, the customer service reps who don't know anything n u have to wait on hold for absurd times during "higher than normal call volumes" which is 24/7/365 no matter when u call. That part always cracks me up, like its just their default way of saying hello how may I assist u today?
There is no company That exists today that does "the right thing". As sad as that is, it's reality. Instead of companies using their record profits these days to improve, they decide to lurch into new ways of making new fees sound legitimate.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

It's absolutely NOT on the same scale, as I admitted. What they do have in common is a perception of things being RIGHT or WRONG. This hike in fees has a perception of greed.

The company turns a multi-billion dollar profit last year and they need more cash for cell towers? Really? BS
They HAVE given reasons for the fee - i've quoted them in a previous post on here. they cite things such as online tools and online education among other bogus reasons...just tell us it is for cell towers or increasing bandwidth...don't lie. That's when it gets like this!

It's absolutely NOT on the same scale, as I admitted. What they do have in common is a perception of things being RIGHT or WRONG. This hike in fees has a perception of greed.

The company turns a multi-billion dollar profit last year and they need more cash for cell towers? Really? BS
They HAVE given reasons for the fee - i've quoted them in a previous post on here. they cite things such as online tools and online education among other bogus reasons...just tell us it is for cell towers or increasing bandwidth...don't lie. That's when it gets like this!

Ain't that the truth. The cover-up is always usually worse than the crime itself. How bout they just charge the extra $30 for the people who need their "online tools" or whatever the hell they came up with. That part gets me too man, like why the hell ddo I have to pay extra for some knuckleheads who don't know what they're doing in the first place So they strain Verizon's online "resources" to get their help. Those r the people they need to be charging. It is BS. Exactly use your record billions in profits u have n make your **** better. How hard is that? Gosh, when is a cutthroat no BS company gonna come thru with these mentalitys and shake up these companies, industries, countries, and world in general?? I'm still waiting. Droid forums, let's incorporate!!

That part gets me too man, like why the hell ddo I have to pay extra for some knuckleheads who don't know what they're doing in the first place So they strain Verizon's online "resources" to get their help. Those r the people they need to be charging. It is BS. Exactly use your record billions in profits u have n make your **** better. How hard is that? Gosh, when is a cutthroat no BS company gonna come thru with these mentalitys and shake up these companies, industries, countries, and world in general?? I'm still waiting. Droid forums, let's incorporate!!

This was the argument I made in my letter to Verizon yesterday. I told them that if a customer requires one on one attention, they should pay on a case by case basis. The reply I got this morning said that my suggestion was forwarded to their marketing department. I don't believe them though.

They also stated this: "Due to our continuous efforts to provide our customers with best service and devices, Verizon Wireless has chosen to implement a device upgrade fee. Devices have become more sophisticated than before, requiring resources such as customer educational tools, personal consultations with our experts, reference materials, and support applications such as Backup Assistant in the transition from one device to another." I told the rep that their backup assist program was garbage and does not apply to me with an android phone and a removable SD card.

Ain't that the truth. The cover-up is always usually worse than the crime itself. How bout they just charge the extra $30 for the people who need their "online tools" or whatever the hell they came up with. That part gets me too man, like why the hell ddo I have to pay extra for some knuckleheads who don't know what they're doing in the first place So they strain Verizon's online "resources" to get their help. Those r the people they need to be charging. It is BS. Exactly use your record billions in profits u have n make your **** better. How hard is that? Gosh, when is a cutthroat no BS company gonna come thru with these mentalitys and shake up these companies, industries, countries, and world in general?? I'm still waiting. Droid forums, let's incorporate!!

VZW is full of it. They just want more money without having to do anything for it. They can continue to regurgitate the company line of, "This is to better serve our customers" and all that nonsense, but I am not buying it.

It's like the argument about why they block unlocked bootloaders... They claim it is for network integrity and a better service experience... So I wrote a letter to the FCC, explaining what VZW says, and showing them why it is BS. VZW allows the Galaxy Nexus on their network, which has an unlocked bootloader. So I showed the FCC why VZW's claims are just corporate BS and an outright lie.

VZW Legal responded to my letter, and you know what their response was? "We block unlocked bootloaders doe network integrity and to provide a better service experience"... They don't care. They don't have to care, they have billions and we don't.

And they add new fees just to make more money, because while we complain, we accept it in the end. It's like when gas is $3 a gallon and shoots up to $4. We scream and complain and declare it a crisis, but a month later it goes down but never goes back to $3. It goes to $3.50 a gallon, and we then sigh in relief because "it went down from $4."

Forget that it is still way more than when we started, the oil companies know that if we were able to spend $4, we can spend $3.50 and will see it as "cheaper", even if it is not as cheap as when we started.

VZW is no different. Soak everyone for everything you can, appease the stock holders, get your bonus and a second home in Malibu, and F the customers.

Back