Verizon Will Start Charging a $30 Upgrade Fee Starting April 22nd

alboboy10

Reaction score
I'm glad they did this.

I'm done with Verizon. I needed one more thing for them to push me over the edge...here it is. I'm going to go into the store one day and when they tell me they're going to charge me I'll play stupid and just walk out and take my contract somewhere else. I'm thinking sprint.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I encourage everyone to post this on other Forums as well.
I also encourage EVERYONE to write Verizon and tell them exactly how this makes you feel.

Here is an Example: (This is what I just wrote to them.)

I am very Displeased with Verizons Decision to initiate a 30 dollar upgrade fee for exisiting CUSTOMERS when they upgrade to a new device. I have been a loyal Verizon CUSTOMER for many years.
Is this how you repay Loyalty? I believe that if things like this 30 dollar upgrade fee and other ways to scam money off of your CUSTOMERS do not cease..... Me and my entire family will cease to be your CUSTOMERS.
Just my immediate family alone pays Verizon well over 220 Dollars a month. My extended family in which I have great sway over probably spend a combined 1200 a month with Verizon, totalling close to 15,000 dollars a year. I am also very connected on all of the Android Forums and can easily discourage use of Verizons Service.
I hope you get the message.
A very Angry CUSTOMER!!
Steven Camp

You Should also call in. Just dial 611

To write them simply go to WWW.Verizon wireless.com and go to the Contact Us link.

they will not care if you leave them .. they really could care less/ threatening them will get you no where . i just told them i was not happy. even if everyone on this forum quit being vzw customers they would hardly notice ..

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about most of you; but Verizon has NEVER been generous enough to offer ME any sort of discount at all on a device outside of the new device you get at the end of 2 years when you sign a new contract.

I have literally never been offered a single cent off of full retail price on ANY phone i've purchased outside of my upgrade cycle. If the device is $699, Verizon likes to get $699 from me. Not a penny less.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
does this only apply when buying the phone from verizon or does it affect phones bought from 3rd party vendor (e.g. newegg, amazon, etc.) ?

music life

Reaction score
Guess its a good thing i figured out how to make my X2 not a POS. lol

Will just snag a cheap phone off ebay or something. By the time i upgrade all the good phones now will be cheap.

Padawan

Reaction score
Upgrade fee meh....I was getting stoned when I read this and my brain shut down for a little bit.

But hey...I really do think they will stop offering subsidized prices down the line

I agree however if they do, I wonder how much business they'll lose as most people can't afford the full cost of the average smartphone. And even then, if they were to do that, they would have to (severely?) drop prices on their calling/data plans if they expect customers to pay full price for a phone.

Htimez2

Reaction score
i already refuse to pat extra fees justbcall support and tell them if the dont wive it youll leave and they always wave it.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I too am curious if this upgrade fee will apply to places like Best Buy, Wirefly, Amazon, etc. If it doesn't, then obviously I'll just go there instead. A lot of times they also have better upgrade prices than Verizon too.

Otherwise, this is just ridiculous. They say it's to cover the cost of them providing the support for helping you upgrade. Nonsense. I have an Android. My contacts, emails, apps, and voicemail are all backed up to my Google account. All I need them to do is enter the device onto my account in their little computers, and I can turn it on and program it. They should make this fee and it's services an optional upgrade cost - if you want their help, you pay, if not, they just activate your phone on the network and let you enter your info in yourself. I'm sure there are a lot of customers that would opt into this service.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm glad they did this.

I'm done with Verizon. I needed one more thing for them to push me over the edge...here it is. I'm going to go into the store one day and when they tell me they're going to charge me I'll play stupid and just walk out and take my contract somewhere else. I'm thinking sprint.

just so you know sprint has a 36 dollar upgrade fee...... enjoy

Verizon is actually the last of the main 4 (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and verizon) to implement this fee so no matter where you go there will be a upgrade fee.

upgrade fees:
AT&T - $36.00
Sprint - $36.00
Verizon - $30.00
T-Mobile - $18.00

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Several people have posted wondering whether this will apply at 3rd party like Best Buy, Amazon etc. I don't have a clue, but my guess would be no.

This is really nothing new for Verizon. They already charge $100 to $150 more than all of the third party vendors for phones. $300 phones at VZW are $150 everywhere else 2-3 weeks after they hit the market while still $300 at VZW. $100 phones at VZW are free everywhere else. I can't fathom why ANYONE would buy a phone at a VZW store. So I guess they will charge $130 to $180 more than everyone else now. If idiots pay that like they did previously, they will raise it again. There's a sucker born every minute

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
That's really dumb, you would think they would want people to constantly upgrade their phone, so they can charge them to use new features (tethering, 4G, their rumored GWallet type thing). If anything, it should be "pay an extra 30, and you don't have to wait for your contract to expire"

Arodnum1

Reaction score
Leave it to Verizon to charge long time customers...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
They are quite literally shooting themselves in the foot.

What fools.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Insidious

Reaction score
Upgrade fee meh....I was getting stoned when I read this and my brain shut down for a little bit.

But hey...I really do think they will stop offering subsidized prices down the line

Um..... LOL.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums