Verizon officially announces Prepaid Data Packages

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-prepaid-data.png

Verizon Wireless today announced it will be expanding its portfolio of prepaid offerings to include a new 3G Prepaid data package that lets customers access unlimited data on select 3G Smartphones and Multimedia phones for $30 monthly access. These new prepaid data packages will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Store today and online at Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 3G Smartphones, the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless beginning Sept. 28.

These new data offerings will help our prepaid customers experience the full breadth of Verizon Wireless’ robust device portfolio and the many engaging, informative and helpful applications that depend on a data plan,” said Jim Sullivan, director of marketing for Verizon Wireless. “Our prepaid customers will now have the freedom to enjoy all of the capabilities that these phones have to offer, while controlling costs and without being tied to a contract.”

Here's a list of Verizon Android Phones that are eligible for the new data packages:

• DROID by Motorola
  • Motorola DEVOUR™
  • DROID X by Motorola
  • DROID 2 by Motorola
  • DROID Eris™ by HTC
  • DROID Incredible by HTC
  • LG Ally™

yahwarrior

Reaction score
Will prepaid customers have to pay full price for those phones?

HamDog

Reaction score
I don't get it. Aren't us Droid owners required to have the $30 data package anyways? Or are they talking about USB/mifi devices added to your account?

I know Virgin Mobile today announced a $40/month unlimited data plan with their USB/Mifi devices that use the Sprint network (3G, not 4G). No contract needed, but you need to buy the data card or mifi device.

RemyL75

Reaction score
From what I've read, customers will have to pay the full cost of the phone (or something close to it, as some pictures have some DROID phones @ 299.99, which is lower than most of the MSRPs for the DROID line). While I am happy that they have prepaid android phones and service now, I can't break my contract lol.

blazed1

Reaction score
lol, the only reason I went from prepaid to a monthly plan was so I could get a droid so now I'm kinda pissed. :icon_cussing:

JadziaD

Reaction score
Will prepaid customers have to pay full price for those phones?

Yes, I did have to pay almost full price. The salesman gave me something of a discount. Phone, car charger, bluetooth earpiece, case and clip for just slightly under $700 with first month included. I went for it because I got tired of getting ripped off every month because of the contract. I'm prepaid for life. I envy those that don't have contract problem because I always had billing problems. :(

But I'm happy now with my Droid 2. :)

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
My contract with ATT ran out a few months ago and since then I have been prepay. I have good credit but I liked the freedom with prepay. At first I stayed with att prepay. I heard of s service called pageplus so I switched to them. They resell verizon service. I paid 44.95 a month for unlimited talk and txt with 20 megs of data. If I used more data then I had to pay like 60 cents a meg. Good thing there was wifi every where around but there were many times that there was no wifi and I was out of data. I started to look around for prepaid providers that worked on cdma. I came to love android and like verizon service. No provider around that had decent data packages and then verizon announced their prepay service. I went to the verizon store today and switched to their prepay service. I got unlimited talk, txt and data for$ 124.99. Much more than what I was paying before but to me it is worth it for the data, my phone is covered with verizon and if I ever have to call customer care the wait will not be half hour.

Verizon does offere discount for phones. The droid2 was 349 and droid x is 399.