Verizon Makes it Official; Jelly Bean Coming to Galaxy S III Tomorrow! (Dec 14)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jelly-Bean-Verizon-Galaxy-S-III.jpg

Verizon finally outed the Android 4.1/Jelly Bean update for their version of the Samsung Galaxy S III. The update will begin rolling out December 14th, which in case you haven't been paying attention to the calendar is tomorrow! It includes a host of the usual bells and whistles as well as a few extra goodies. Here's a quote from the Verizon press statement with full details,

Samsung Galaxy S® III is the latest Verizon Wireless smartphone to be upgraded to Android 4.1, Jelly Bean. The software upgrade, which will be pushed to customers in phases starting Dec. 14, also makes the smartphone Global Ready. Customers who would like to manually download the upgrade through the settings menu will be able to within the next week.

Jelly Bean includes enhancements and new features like Google Now, which can be accessed by holding down on the home button, and a new notification panel that displays missed calls and emails, allowing customers return the call or email right from the notification.

Customers will also notice enhanced camera capabilities. The camera now includes, new live camera filters to add an artistic flair to their pictures. Users can choose filters such as warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white, sepia, color highlights (blue, green, red/yellow). Another new camera feature allows users to pause and resume while recording video so they can record it all in one take.

Additionally, the new software will make the Samsung Galaxy S III the next ISIS-ready smartphone. Austin, Texas, and Salt Lake City are the first cities to take advantage of ISIS and customers in those areas will be able to turn their phones into mobile wallets to make payments wirelessly at various retailers.

For more information on the Jelly Bean upgrade, visit the Samsung Galaxy S III support page.

As usual, the update will likely roll out in batches, so if you don't see yours right away have patience as it might take a few days to come to everyone. VZW SGS3 users can commence their happy dance now... dancedroid

Source: Verizon

Last edited:

hradek422

Reaction score
My question is, are we going to be getting the Premium stuff that was ported over from the Galaxy Note II? The update says nothing about it. :/

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
about ready to flash the rooted version over at XDA..

_33

Reaction score
I hope someone drops a bloatware free version quick! I would love to try TW in pure form.

_33

Reaction score
about ready to flash the rooted version over at XDA..

Hey, I went over to XDA and it was like I reading Chinese. I'm looking for the stock TW ROM, debloated. I'm running AOKP now and I miss the TW, but use Google Now all the time. ANy chance you could hook me up with a link?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I'm kinda confused myself whether the premium suite will be a free OTA or something we need to pay for .. still looking..

hradek422

Reaction score
I didn't get an automatic notification about the OTA update, but I did go out and manually scan for the update, and it was available on my phone. Others might try to do this as well, you may be able to get the update today.I'll let you all know if the Premium Suite is on there.*EDIT*Okay, so apparently I'm incorrect... I just checked for updates, and it said one was available so I installed it. I guess it was just the last OTA update that came out. Says I'm now on I535VRLHE 4.0.4. False alarm guys.

Last edited:

hradek422

Reaction score
Okay, Update #2. I checked for updates again, and I had it. I updated and now have my Jellehbeanz. From everything I can see, the Premium Suite was not included, like we assumed it wouldn't be.

Escobar

Reaction score
Rocking jelly bean and typing with Swiftkey Flow. I love android.