Verizon is launching 5G service to Houston

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Verizon.png

Verizon has announced today that it will launch 5G in Houston later this year. The focus will be on residential home service, rather than mobile broadband. Verizon is stepping in to provide high-speed internet service for under-served communities. "We will be the first to offer commercial 5G service and our work with Houston put us one step closer to delivering that promise," said Verizon's incoming CEO Hans Vestberg. "With 5G we are ushering in a fourth industrial revolution that will help reshape cities and lead to unprecedented innovation, and Houston will be at the forefront of that innovation."

Continue Reading @ Engadget

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing DanDroid.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
10 gbits per second verses 1gbit. A full HD movie can be downloaded in seconds.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I also saw a blurb where they are looking to partner with Google and Hulu(?) to deliver tv services.

So I'm wondering when they plan to actually offer 5G mobile service. Also wondering if they will bundle home broadband and mobile together. I suspect not initially, because people are justifiably going to complain about expensive plans and data caps given the capacity of 5G

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm kind of wondering if the rumored 5G Moto Mod rumored to be announced on August 2nd is another pairing between Moto & Verizon? Kind of like Droid phones in the past. Will Verizon be part of the August 2nd announcement and discuss 5G mobile data? It's just a guess, but I suppose anything is possible.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
So if current 4g network supports 1gbit speed and usually we see speeds around 50mbit, with the next 5g network we can expect to see speeds around 500mbits

Assumming we are downloading content on 5g network at average 500mbit/sec which is around 62 mbytes/sec, it will take us around 355 seconds or just about 6 minutes to reach a monthly data cap of 22 gbytes before Verizon will throttle customers on congested towers.
About 4 minutes for hotspot before throttling to 600kbits speeds.

Watch those 4k video files!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
We had these same discussions back in 2016. If you download a 500MB file, it's still only 500MB. Maybe you can download it in 10 seconds instead of 1 minute, but it's still only 500MB.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd suspect that with the higher capable speeds, they would raise the limits too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd suspect that with the higher capable speeds, they would raise the limits too.

You would think, but I bet they intend to use the capacity for home broadband alternatives....1TB for a monthly home family plan and there goes all the new capacity.