First 5G Smartphone landing at Sprint in 2019

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sprint-5g.png

Sprint today confirmed a significant wireless milestone as it works with LG Electronics USA to deliver the first mobile 5G smartphone in the U.S. in the first half of 2019. Sprint customers will be among the first in the world to experience the incredible speed, reliability and mobility of 5G on this innovative handset built for the country’s first mobile 5G network when it launches in first half of next year. Device specifications and exact timing will be announced later.

"Sprint is moving fast on the road to 5G and we are thrilled to announce the first 5G smartphone with the innovative team at LG," said Dr. John Saw, Sprint chief technology officer. "LG has done tremendous work developing technical designs that enable us to be among the first movers in mobile 5G. Today’s announcement brings us one step closer to putting a beautifully-designed advanced 5G smartphone in our customer’s hands. And we’re excited to revolutionize the mobile industry as we dramatically improve the way Sprint customers work, play and stay connected."

5G promises new levels of innovation and progress to connect people, places and the billions of things Sprint customers do with blazing fast speed and ultra-reliable wireless. Customers will experience the shift from 4G to 5G with full-length HD movie downloads in seconds instead of minutes. Graphic-heavy videos and high speed games will play without delays, hiccups or lag-time.

"LG has been working side-by-side with Sprint for nearly 20 years, and we are looking forward to expanding this partnership with 5G," said William Cho, LG Electronics North America President and CEO. Building on LG’s legacy of innovation, our teams are enthusiastic about partnering with Sprint’s 5G experts to bring next-generation mobile to market in the U.S., while continuing to evolve LG’s best-in-class design elements for Sprint customers."

Source: Sprint

shockracer

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that Verizon will let that happen, I bet Verizon has something up their sleeves

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Didn't Verizon already claim to be releasing the first 5G phone on the first 5G network? They all want to the the first. Comical.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Didn't Verizon already claim to be releasing the first 5G phone on the first 5G network?

Wasn't that the whole "Moto 5G mod" event?

VZW is supposed to announce the 4th city for it's test sometime soon. I would think we'd see a 5G phone from them in Q4, but more likely Q1 of next year.

Or, it's very possible VZW first 5G devices are going to be wireless home broadband devices to compete with cable companies. Cell phone market is saturated - they're looking at 5G to go after all that cable business they don't have.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Moto Z3 and 5G Moto Mod were supposed to be the first phone to be 5G "compatible" but that's different than a "5G phone". But yes, they did claim to be the first to bring a 5G network. And I think they also said they would have an actual 5G phone in early 2019 also. I guess we shall see who is first. Gentlemen....start your engines! The race has begun. :cool: