Verizon is Giving Away Star Wars Themed Google Cardboard VR Goggles in Stores Today

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
star-wars-google-cardboard.jpg

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is hitting theaters on December 18th, and Verizon is riding the hype-train. Starting today, you can head to your local Verizon store, where they are giving away Star Wars themed Google Cardboard VR Viewers for free!

They only have a limited supply, so you will probably want to hurry before they run out. There are 4 different cardboard designs: BB-8, R2-D2, Kylo Ren, and Stormtrooper. Even if you aren't one to "geek out" over Star Wars, it could make for a surprising stocking stuffer for a friend or family member. To be clear, only Verizon customers are eligible to receive the free gift.

For more info, here's Big Red's web landing page: Star Wars: The Force Awakens | Verizon Wireless

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It is really cool. I got mine yesterday. I stopped in the Verizon store and the staff just got a shipment of them. They were all excitedly watching VR videos and invited me to watch. Then asked if I wanted one. I asked, "how much?" FREE! Yeah, I'll take two. Very cool!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I picked up 3 today from my VZW Store. Not sure if there are any phone size limitations or specific content but Netflix on my Note 5 did not look right at all.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I picked up 3 today from my VZW Store. Not sure if there are any phone size limitations or specific content but Netflix on my Note 5 did not look right at all.
Looks great on my note 5. Did you try to download any of the cardboard apps in the playstore? I don't think it was designed for Netflix. But you should have no problem viewing any 360 VR videos.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I guess I am missing the boat on this one. I didn't realize there was anything all that great about these. I wonder if any of my stores still have them left....

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Installed Cardboard App and that made a difference. It would be cool to use it to watch netflix like a big screen like experience but so far it is a interesting device. I went back to Verizon and they still had a bunch. My area isnt as busy and dont think anyone even knew about them. I have all 4 variants and grabbed 1 eacb for my kids. I did notice it started to hurt my eyes and get a little headache after a while. The Insidious 3 VR is interesting.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I guess I am missing the boat on this one. I didn't realize there was anything all that great about these. I wonder if any of my stores still have them left....
I think it's worth checking out @Miller6386. You load a 360 VR video/app onto your phone, put your phone in the viewer, then when you watch the video it is like you're standing in the middle of whatever action is going on. If you turn in one direction, turn all the way around, look up, or look down you see from that point of view. Some of the videos have actions where there is a cursor and you look at the screen so that the cursor activates am on screen command. There are also virtual reality games you can play. I think it's pretty cool.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I got one for free when Conan did Comic-Con, but wouldn't mind having another one or two around the house for free. The wife almost wouldn't give the Conan one back to me when I let her check it out after she was laughing at me spinning around the dining room.

Not sure my store even got them. We don't have an official store in town any more, just a premium retailer. Unless they did some kind of switch-a-roo. They didn't even have smartwatches in-store last time I was in there. They could only order the Galaxy watch for me.

If they did get them, I'd think they still have them left, but I'm not sure it's worth the trip out of my way at this point since I have one.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have 2 stores near me but going into them is horrible. The reps are a bunch of...eh I can't keep this PG. I'll just say Karma won't be nice to them later in life.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Can't tell you how many times over the years I've considered applying at one of our stores (now there's ONLY one) just to give them some credibility. Haha

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I can't understand how its acceptable. If I did that at my work, I'd be out of a job.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
See, they're friendly and pleasant at my store. Issue is that most of them are iPhone users and don't know or care anything about android devices, so I end up giving lessons on the rare occasion I go in there.

Now that the corporate store closed down, I can't be sure what they're like though. I haven't gone to the Premium Retailer for anything important in several years since the corporate store is closer to everywhere I've lived for quite a while now.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I stopped in one of our local stores and they still had a dozen or so. I grabbed a Stormtrooper one. My wife went to a different store the next day and the rep said she was the sixth or seventh person to stop in and ask and he had absolutely no idea what any of them were talking about, that Verizon hadn't sent them any sort of Star Wars cardboard anything. :rolleyes: