Verizon Galaxy Note 4 Root Bounty Has Surpassed $10k

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
07643311.jpg

It stinks that it has come to this, but these days if you want root on a Verizon device you have to really jump through hoops to catch the attention of capable developers and security experts. These devices, especially of the Samsung variety, have been locked down so tight that many developers have just dismissed them entirely. Verizon and some OEMs have decided to offer developer edition devices which doesn't truly help. The majority of Verizon users can't justify dropping $700 on a device they could otherwise obtain for $200 on contract. They buy the consumer edition instead and just hope an pray that someone will be able to root it. Most of the devs responsible for root have sent out the warnings "We are done rooting these devices, buy developer editions or buy a Nexus", but for most people this is just not a financially viable option.

So as a community we have decided to pledge up a bounty hoping to attract the right developer who can crack our device and give us root. The bounty for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has just reached over $11,000 for a root method that does not trip knox, and $9,000 for any root method. This is not far from the bounty that was raised just prior to the Galaxy S5 being rooted. Hopefully we can get this bounty high enough to attract the right eyes. It should be noted that even if root is achieved the bootloader will still be locked which means we still won't have true recovery. This means there won't be much in the way of Rom development. SafeStrap can run on devices as long as root is present so you may still be able to run stock touchwiz based roms. For more info and to make your pledge head to the link below.

Via XDA

Tonik

Reaction score
I know one of the guys Sammy hired to get this stuff locked down. I will be shocked if they get root....Let alone the bootloader.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I find it hard to believe that people who know they want root and unlocked bootloaders keep buying devices like this.

Tonik

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that people who know they want root and unlocked bootloaders keep buying devices like this.
So many phones, even if they do pop it the devs lose interest in 6 months. Then you fall behind on updates our you have to give up root. I'll be happy when my nexus 6 gets here. Don't care about roms but I know I can stay current and keep root.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hopefully Motorola makes the next Nexus phone as well, so I can use my Moto credit to buy it outright. Dev editions all the way.

It was a PITA trying to get my bootloader unlocked on my Verizon Moto X.

Never Again!

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I agree, I've rooted two phones and never saw the advantage. But if you want root get a nexus!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hopefully Motorola makes the next Nexus phone as well, so I can use my Moto credit to buy it outright. Dev editions all the way.

It was a PITA trying to get my bootloader unlocked on my Verizon Moto X.

Never Again!
Only problem with that is that Verizon made the Turbo exclusive to Verizon which means even Motorola couldn't sell it to me... Believe me, I tried. So instead I used my moto credit to but 4 Nexus 6s.

I wish there was a Dev version of the Turbo buy at least not yet.