Verizon Early Renewal for Droid

BeefyBeefo

Reaction score
Doing it for some but not all? :confused:

I FINALLY GOT A DROID!!!! :motdroidvert:

Here's a little info so some of you that are trying to get early upgrades can maybe have another chance at it. As some of you regular readers may know, I've been trying hard to get a Droid. I tried 2 times to call *611 to talk them into an early upgrade. Our plan is almost $350/month, and they wouldn't budge. The second rep tried harder than the first.

My girlfriend and I had to go into Verizon today to get her a new Tour. She still had one of the originals and the trackball sucked. So, after we got her all squared away, I asked to speak to a manager about an unrelated issue.

When he approached he seemed like a very nice older guy. He was new to the store (transferred from another). I asked in a very nice way if he could just tell me about any rhyme or reason for some people receiving early upgrade offers for the Droid, while others are not. He said he didn't know, asked how much our monthly plan was (he said that may have been a contributing factor for some not receiving them, but clearly not in our case), then he asked when my upgrade was due on my line (June 2010). He asked how many early upgrades I was trying to get, and I told him I just wanted one, and was a little disappointed at the promotions department (whoever that is) that they wouldn't extend this to long-time customers (10+ years here), with a plan that has 5 phones on it (3 of which are smartphones). He gave the approval, and said "we'll get you a Droid today"!!!!! How awesome is that?!?! The managers clearly have the authority to do this, I guess you just need to find the right one, at the right time (he was about to leave). I also have a feeling he would have granted two early upgrades if I asked for them (since I was with my girlfriend), but I certainly wasn't going to push my luck. The next upgrade on our account is in January, and I wouldn't be surprised if my girlfriend is wanting one by then. :icon_ devil:

As a side note, and funny, my girlfriend started playing with the Droid right after we left the store. While playing with it, I received a text message. As the phone went "DRROIIIIIIDDD" it scared the crap out of her and she almost went through the roof of my truck! LMFAO!! I almost had to pull over I was laughing so hard! Anyways, I just wanted to share some information as well as my excitement. Being a long-time BB user, I feel like a newbie all over again, but I'm a quick learner. :D:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Doing it for some but not all? :confused:

I FINALLY GOT A DROID!!!! :motdroidvert:

Glad you got your Droid! My experience was similar to yours. Went in 3 times, first two offered no upgrade, would have had to buy my way out of current contract and then buy the Droid. 3rd person gave me the upgrade and didn't even reset my contract expiration date.

All depends on who you talk to. It shouldn't, but it does.

kcook323

Reaction score
The only reason I got my Droid was because of the special invite we received in the mail. Supposedly, a select few (how ever many that is in the "Verizon" community) were picked for this promotion. Basically it allowed everyone in our family to upgrade our phone to one of the (preferably) 3 new smartphones for one week only. I got the Droid, and my husband got an ENVY3. I had to call my order in. I thought I was going to get an instant rebate, but she said that we would have to pay $199 and we would be sent the $100 Visa card. Oh, our new every two wasn't up until March.

Anyone know if the rebate will automatically be sent since I called it in, or do I have to send something in like when you buy directly from the store? I just don't understand why they can't give you the rebate right then like when you order from their website.

rothenbj

Reaction score
NE2 question

Verizon has two upgrade programs, you all know the NE2 one. The other is called Annual Upgrade, which as the name says, will allow you to upgrade to a new phone once a year at the advertised contract price. You have to renew your contract, and you have to have a plan that is $49.99 or more to be eligible, and it also resets your NE2. You can find more information about at their site after you log in and click upgrade phone. Sometimes verizon will make exceptions to either program and allow someone to upgrade 'early', which is usually due to fustration with a phone (the original Storm) or a promotion they are running.

Oh but you're wrong. This is one member that doesn't know the NE2 program being a TM client for 10 yrs. Had I been with Verizon the last 2 yrs, what would I have paid for the Droid when I purchased it? Thanks in advance.

BeefyBeefo

Reaction score
Verizon has two upgrade programs, you all know the NE2 one. The other is called Annual Upgrade, which as the name says, will allow you to upgrade to a new phone once a year at the advertised contract price. You have to renew your contract, and you have to have a plan that is $49.99 or more to be eligible, and it also resets your NE2. You can find more information about at their site after you log in and click upgrade phone. Sometimes verizon will make exceptions to either program and allow someone to upgrade 'early', which is usually due to fustration with a phone (the original Storm) or a promotion they are running.

Oh but you're wrong. This is one member that doesn't know the NE2 program being a TM client for 10 yrs. Had I been with Verizon the last 2 yrs, what would I have paid for the Droid when I purchased it? Thanks in advance.

The "New Every 2" gets you another hundred dollars off of the 2-year contract price. It's applied to the main line on a family plan, or your line if you're on a single plan. :D

hanano17

Reaction score

The above poster has the jist of it. So if you had your NE2, you'd pay $99 for the droid. :) (On a family plan, I believe its transferable).

superglen99

Reaction score
I did early renewal. Mine wasn't up till 3/3/2010 and they waived the activation fee but I had to do it at verizon store. Best buy doesn't do early upgrades, lame

tripp racioppi

Reaction score
my wife and i went into the verizon store to get her phone upgraded; while we were looking, i looked at the droid. we got her up and running with an envy (or however it's spelled). then the sales person asked if i needed to upgrade mine. i was a year away from my ne2...but after some gentle persuassion and my wife's "do whatever you want..." i took the plunge from my centro that i really liked...had to pay the early upgrade fee, so my droid cost $344....i was a little concerned about putting that much in when i could have waited....but then i started playing with it....nuf said

r3:happy2:

niraj

Reaction score
My new every two happens Jan 27, 2010. I got the mailer and email and took it into the store yesterday. They looked in their computer and it showed i wasnt eligible for an upgrade. So i had to show them the flyer and push them to get it done for me. After a manager approval i paid $299 + $25 early upgrade fee - $100 rebate.

rothenbj

Reaction score

The above poster has the jist of it. So if you had your NE2, you'd pay $99 for the droid. :) (On a family plan, I believe its transferable).

I'm a bit surprised that the NE2 is tied to the plan as opposed to the phone. At T-Mobile I was on a family plan, but the contract term was set to when each phone was purchased. Each phone was discounted after you held it through it's contract period. If you were on a family plan and you decided to move the phone that had fulfilled its obligation, the other phone would be changed to a single plan for the duration of its contract obligation.

Now that brings up another question. If you change plans mid term from a family to two single plans, does that start up a new 2 year contract obligation? Also, how would that affect the NE2?

I went with the family plan since that's what we always had, but we also went from 4 to 2 people on the plan.

It might make sense to revisit the possibilities before we get too far into this.

I Still might cancel an go back to TM... LOL.... nah, not a chance.

hanano17

Reaction score

I'm a bit surprised that the NE2 is tied to the plan as opposed to the phone. At T-Mobile I was on a family plan, but the contract term was set to when each phone was purchased. Each phone was discounted after you held it through it's contract period. If you were on a family plan and you decided to move the phone that had fulfilled its obligation, the other phone would be changed to a single plan for the duration of its contract obligation.

Now that brings up another question. If you change plans mid term from a family to two single plans, does that start up a new 2 year contract obligation? Also, how would that affect the NE2?

I went with the family plan since that's what we always had, but we also went from 4 to 2 people on the plan.

It might make sense to revisit the possibilities before we get too far into this.

If you change plans during the 2 years, I believe it resets the 2 years. However, it doesn't reset your NE2. NE2 starts the day you buy the phone and is only reset when you upgrade using it or upgrade using an Annual Upgrade. While I think NE2 is transferable on a family plan to any of the lines, every line is eligble for an Annual Upgrade once a year (which will just be the discounted contract price).

BeefyBeefo

Reaction score

If you change plans during the 2 years, I believe it resets the 2 years. However, it doesn't reset your NE2. NE2 starts the day you buy the phone and is only reset when you upgrade using it or upgrade using an Annual Upgrade. While I think NE2 is transferable on a family plan to any of the lines, every line is eligble for an Annual Upgrade once a year (which will just be the discounted contract price).

Unless the family plans are different, this isn't true. If you sign a 1-year contract, then yes you can upgrade yearly. The main line on a family plan is the line that automatically gets the NE2, and the annual upgrade option. When signing a 2-year contract, all other lines are eligible to upgrade "early" 4 months before two years from the date of signing. We have a VIP account, so the $20 early fee is waived, but that's beside the point. :motdroidvert:

To rothenbj, if you only have 2 phones, you may want to recheck your plan options. Family Plans generally become beneficial with 3+ lines. 2 lines is questionable, depending on how you have it setup.

hanano17

Reaction score

Unless the family plans are different, this isn't true. If you sign a 1-year contract, then yes you can upgrade yearly. The main line on a family plan is the line that automatically gets the NE2, and the annual upgrade option. When signing a 2-year contract, all other lines are eligible to upgrade "early" 4 months before two years from the date of signing. We have a VIP account, so the $20 early fee is waived, but that's beside the point. :motdroidvert:

To rothenbj, if you only have 2 phones, you may want to recheck your plan options. Family Plans generally become beneficial with 3+ lines. 2 lines is questionable, depending on how you have it setup.

You may be right, I'm not positive on it. I have two lines on my account, only the main one has the data plan. However, both have been eligible for upgrades yearly. I've always done a 2 year contract.

As far as NE2 being transferrable, I've never tried it but some have stated that they got their wives line upgraded using it. So I can't personally verify that.

LordKastle

Reaction score
I was under the impression that if you are close to the 2 year mark of having your phone..or even 3-4 months prior they let you upgrade for the ADVERTISED price. When the price of someone signing up for a new account is $199 then you will pay 199.

On my line Verizon said that I could upgrade on November 20th (doesn't matter because I upgraded using another line) at the price of 299...the 1 year price (Due to me just last year using my line to purchase someone a gift with the 2 year/new line price.) If you go to Verizon's store online all the details are there.

I don't understand how people got Droid's for $99.