Verizon Contract Questions

ScooterG

Reaction score
Anyone know if can cancel my Verizon contract, pay the fee, resign and get the Droid with a new number? :eek:

Or...if I just buy the phone at full retail, can I use a plan with the same number I currently have?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your plan does not include a data plan on it, they will most likely not let you do it. As stated by a friend of the admin who works for VZW. Then you would merely have a phone that you couldn't use unless you broke the contract anyways. From what i seem to understand.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
we've been kicking this question around here. my experience lately is that verizon defaults all smartphones to a data plan. it will surely be required.

OP
ScooterG

ScooterG

Reaction score
Thanks for the input all. I don't have a problem canceling and switching to a new number as I use Google Voice as my main number which should integrate much nicer than my current setup with WinMo. It's just at $474 ($175 for termination and $199 for the Droid) + activation, buying the phone outright at $559.99 seems tolerable.

tsguy52

Reaction score
Anyone know if can cancel my Verizon contract, pay the fee, resign and get the Droid with a new number? :eek:

Or...if I just buy the phone at full retail, can I use a plan with the same number I currently have?

Technically you could cancel and get a new account. Your better option might be to just add a line and get the Droid. Switch the two phones to keep your same number and then just cancel the secondary line a couple of months down the road. You'd still be paying for a $30 PDA plan so VZW couldn't care less.

If you put this on a family plan you're looking at an extra $9.99 a month for the secondary line access fee and the extra $30 on your primary line (your number). Not to mention your ETF on the secondary line drops $5 each month you have service.

I would personally wait and see how much this phone will be full retail first.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm kind of torn on it because i can only IMAGINE how many people call up and complain about "data" they didn't use, but i would also like there to be an option.

tsguy52

Reaction score
Thanks for the input all. I don't have a problem canceling and switching to a new number as I use Google Voice as my main number which should integrate much nicer than my current setup with WinMo. It's just at $474 ($175 for termination and $199 for the Droid) + activation, buying the phone outright at $559.99 seems tolerable.

Actually...

199.99 + 175.00 = $374.99

Sell whatever phone you have now on e-bay and make a little of that back.

tsguy52

Reaction score
I'm kind of torn on it because i can only IMAGINE how many people call up and complain about "data" they didn't use, but i would also like there to be an option.

Well look at it this way...

$1.99/MB vs $30/Unlimited..

The phone is obviously data intense so it wouldn't make sense for anyone to have it without the data plan.

It's like the parents who buy their kids $500 BlackBerry's to text with..

OP
ScooterG

ScooterG

Reaction score

Technically you could cancel and get a new account. Your better option might be to just add a line and get the Droid. Switch the two phones to keep your same number and then just cancel the secondary line a couple of months down the road. You'd still be paying for a $30 PDA plan so VZW couldn't care less.

If you put this on a family plan you're looking at an extra $9.99 a month for the secondary line access fee and the extra $30 on your primary line (your number). Not to mention your ETF on the secondary line drops $5 each month you have service.

I would personally wait and see how much this phone will be full retail first.

Here's a Twitter post about full retail pricing: Twitter / Droid: @Japultra With no contract ...

OP
ScooterG

ScooterG

Reaction score

Actually...

199.99 + 175.00 = $374.99

Sell whatever phone you have now on e-bay and make a little of that back.

LOL :eek::eek::eek:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that TSguy has posted that, i do remember someone on a VZW thread awhile back saying the same thing.