Verizon Car Mount suuucks

Lukerative

Reaction score
Dear dedicated community,

I dunno if I am completely inept, but I cannot get the Official VZW Car Mount to ... stick to my car. I can't use the windshield part, but it comes with a little base to stick to your dash, so you can mount the suction cup to the dash area. I can't get it to stick for the life of me. Am I missing something? or just having trouble with physics?

I am thinking about returning it. If I do, I will be getting this.

Thanks for any help and opinions!

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
I can't imagine gluing something directly to my phone like that. I'll tell you what I did, I bought some velcro strips with adhesive on the back and attached the mount right to my dashboard. The arm and suction cup I just left in the box it came in. You have to find a surface that faces you of course, but I love it.

ookiiB

Reaction score
Agree...

I'm with you on the 'official' Verizon car dock/mount suuuuucking. I attached the mount to my dash after cleaning it with the supplied alcohol wipe. Let it sit/cure for 24 hours. Attached the suction cup/arm before my AM drive and it worked beautifully. Got off of work and found my car dock sitting on the floor. The adhesive that is in direct contact with the dash held true, but the top plastic base had come loose! I'm assuming the heat that built up in the truck (I park outside, but I do use a sun shield) had melted the adhesive to the point that it could no longer hold on.

Kandiru

Reaction score
Get creative with that POS:)

Use your skills and imagination, get small bolts/nuts and remove the suction cup, mount into dash or side of A/C vent, mount it into an Arkon 15' gooseneck thingy that bolts into your seat, or build up a base and velcro mount.

IMHO, since i use a skin, just get a $10 MOBI GPS mount, works a lot better for custom installs.

ylimehajile

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the adhesive on mine. It lasted one day in the sun and then peeled off. I hit it with some super glue and it hasn't budged since. Just a few drops around the edges of the adhesive tape and the black plastic and it will be there to stay. Had the same issue with my Garmin mount. How these things ever get past quality assurance is beyond me. Of course I say the same thing about my DX. I'm on my third phone.

ylimehajile

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust a suction cup for a $600 device. I use one on my garmin and find it on my car floor about once a week. They seem to last about 6 months and then start to harden and don't hold.

Jon K

Reaction score
Oh ok - I thought you meant you "couldn't use it" like the suction cup didn't work. I don't have an issue using the suction cup - its not like its going to be left there. I've suspended $2500 cameras from suction cups on the windshield before, so I don't mind. I just thought you mean you physically could not do it.

ookiiB

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the adhesive on mine. It lasted one day in the sun and then peeled off. I hit it with some super glue and it hasn't budged since. Just a few drops around the edges of the adhesive tape and the black plastic and it will be there to stay. Had the same issue with my Garmin mount. How these things ever get past quality assurance is beyond me. Of course I say the same thing about my DX. I'm on my third phone.

I had considered that, but gave up on the notion before even trying thinking that the super glue would not work on the adhesive. I will have to give it a shot when I get home. This will hopefully negate my ghetto 'zip tie attached to the mount and rear view mirror' solution. Thanks ylimehajile!

veeeee

Reaction score
Try wetting the suction cup a little to help it stick. Water or some good ol spit should do the job.

ylimehajile

Reaction score
works for a time and then crash! When the cup gets brittle there isn't enough spit in the world :)