Verizon Announces New Items, Technology

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizonltelogo.jpg

Verizon Wireless appears ready to introduce several new devices including computer tablets and 3-5 new phones capable of using their LTE High Speed Wireless Network by May 2011 Chief Executive Lowell McAdam said Friday.

Contenders in manufacturing these devices include Motorola, Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics.

Motorola, HTC, LG and Research In Motion could also be among the first next year with phones for the Long Term Evolution (LTE) high-speed wireless network that Verizon plans to switch on later this year.

"I'd say all the major manufacturers we're talking to today are making the transition to LTE," McAdam said at Reuters Global Technology Summit.

Verizon is busy building it's LTE network to cover 25 to 30 markets with 100 million people, including New York by the end of this year.

This is all following a strong year of sales from products like the Motorola Droid and what could have been even stronger sales from the HTC Incredible.

McAdam also mentioned that if it had not been for restraints on the HTC Incredible it would have definitely outsold the Motorola Droid.

Demonstrations of the new Computer tablets are expected to be presented at the Consumer Electronics Show in January of next year.

McAdam believes that the entire Verizon Network will have LTE coverage by 2013.

source

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

***Facepalm***** teaches me to post before reading oh well.. should never doubt hookbill

LOL actually you had me going a bit. I came up with this for Droid Blog and DanDroid told me to post it front page here. It was entirely possible that we could have got our wires crossed.

waltwhitman

Reaction score

Verizon Wireless appears ready to introduce several new devices including computer tablets and 3-5 new phones capable of using their LTE High Speed Wireless Network by May 2011 Chief Executive Lowell McAdam said Friday.

McAdam believes that the entire Verizon Network will have LTE coverage by 2013.

source

very interesting

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2010/05/tiered_pricing.html

Verizon to introduce tiered pricing for LTE - GSMA Mobile Business Briefing

I dont know if that needs a seperate thread but this was something I spoke about in a certain thread that I shall not name...lol

It mentioned changing the data plans for LTE. Does that mean 3G will still be availaibe to use, or will Verizon phase 3G out entirely and try to capitalize on this? Cuz I can see some ppl staying on 3G phones if they can stay unlimited.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
From the article:

However, McAdam also outlined the cost savings Verizon Wireless expects to make using LTE, noting that the cost of carrying 1 megabyte of data over its LTE network would be half to one third of the cost of carrying the same data over its current 3G network. At the same time he said he expected all voice traffic originating from LTE subscribers to be carried as a VoIP data service by 2012, resulting in significant additional savings.

So if they do go back to tiered data plans, and according to the CEO it saves Verizon money by doing this, they shouldnt charge alot for tiered data plans.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
And one more tidbit: using VoIP uses data. So you're gonna be using data off the break just to make a phone call.....I pray Verizon doesnt get outrageous with prices for the data plans.