Verizon and Unlimited Data

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I was able to do the upgrade and keep my unlimited data without a problem. It looks like nothing changed on my plan but I'm just waiting to make sure when I get my bill next month.

The only problem I had was some security feature related to the sim card. I don't remember what it was but I think that the feature wasn't supported by my sim card because it's older. Whatever it was, i think it was something I wouldn't use.

I'm glad that I was able to keep my unlimited data, nothing else changed and that I didn't have to pay full price or close to it for a new phone.

comk4ver

Reaction score
It was probably Verizon's certain of lojack for the phone

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
If it is a dummy line it will automatically get a data plan and you will not be able to remove it until the contract expires on that line.

If you use your old Sim card and don't activate with the Sim card that comes with the phone you may avoid having the data plan added to the dummy line.
I have not tried that particular scenario so I can't confirm if it will or won't add the data plan.
I have tried this and it worked in November of this year. Got xperia z3v for 200 on a dummy line. When phone came in, prior to powering it on I took out new sim and inserted old sim from unlimited data phone into new phone. Now have new discounted phone with old unlimited data and old dummy phone with no data plan. I plan on doing this again in future when my wife decides she is tired of her LG g2.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I was able to do the upgrade and keep my unlimited data without a problem. It looks like nothing changed on my plan but I'm just waiting to make sure when I get my bill next month.

The only problem I had was some security feature related to the sim card. I don't remember what it was but I think that the feature wasn't supported by my sim card because it's older. Whatever it was, i think it was something I wouldn't use.

I'm glad that I was able to keep my unlimited data, nothing else changed and that I didn't have to pay full price or close to it for a new phone.
New sim cards have pay with phone features included in them for security purposes. You can go to Verizon and get newer sim card free of charge, but you have to walk in the store they won't do it online.

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I did some digging and you're right. It was a pay with phone setting. Getting a new sim card won't bump me off the unlimited plan or anything, will it?

Does it have to be an actual store or can I just get one at an authorized retailer like one of those little shacks in the mall? The closest actual store to me is about 40 minutes away.

I'd probably never use the feature but I'd like to be able to use it if I ever wanted to.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
You can get the anywhere where they sell new phones but depends on franchise owner if they will charge you for sim or not.