Verizon Activites 4G LTE in over 20 New Markets; Expands in Others

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
4g-lte-sept-2011.png

Verizon has just announced that they have increased 4G LTE availability by adding it to over 20 new markets, and expanding in several others. This brings Verizon's 4G LTE coverage to approximately 143 markets throughout the United States. Here's a list of the added and expanded areas:
List of cities that received 4G LTE service on September 15
  • San Luis Obispo County, California
  • Santa Barbara County, California
  • Bloomington/Normal, Illinois
  • Champaign/Urbana, Illinois
  • East Moline, Illinois
  • Moline, Illinois
  • Rock Island, Illinois
  • Rockford, Illinois
  • Springfield, Illinois
  • Bettendorf, Iowa
  • Davenport, Iowa
  • Iowa City, Iowa
  • Shreveport, Louisiana
  • Moorhead, Minnesota
  • Reno, Nevada
  • Las Cruces, New Mexico
  • Fargo, North Dakota
  • Akron-Canton Airport, Ohio
  • Canton, Ohio
  • Lima, Ohio
  • Manfields, Ohio
  • Austin, Texas
  • El Paso, Texas
  • Wichita Falls, Texas
List of cities that received a 4G LTE service expansion on September 15
  • San Francisco Bay Area, California
  • Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Akron, Ohio
  • Cleveland, Ohio
For the full press release click on the source link below.

Source: Verizon Wireless Launches 4G LTE in Over 20 New Markets September 2011 Press Release

bp10

Reaction score
You can add Jonesboro, AR to the list. Fort Smith, AR is also supposed to get 4g today. I can verify the 4g in Jonesboro though. Tested it on my Thunderbolt at lunch and got 13.84 mbps down. I live just outside of town though, and the 4g stops about 3-4 miles from my house. Looks like they missed me by one tower on this one.

DarkJeckyll

Reaction score
Really Fargo NC? Cant give it to us in Asheville NC but u can give it to them wtf

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
What??? It says Fargo ND as in North Dakota, what does that have to do with North Carolina? None of markets activated today were on the east coast.

Texas isn't on the east coast? Man I need to go back to school.......

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

1ceFiend

Reaction score
Pretty much nothing in the northeast, either :/ Kind of figured we weren't going to be a priority area.

You're kidding about Texas being on the east coast, right...?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable, STILL nothing in VA at all....

Va will be dropping very soon, I lived in Va Beach for 6 years, have 2 friends who both run VZW stores and they tested the 4g towers last month for an afternoon. I am hearing October for hampton roads. That is not fact so take it as you will but I do know for certain they tested it out and it should be ready to go when they decide to flip the switch.

seanjohnja91

Reaction score
Why isn't all of NJ sweating 4G right now? It is after all the state of it's headquarters and it's such a small one to take care of.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty much nothing in the northeast, either :/ Kind of figured we weren't going to be a priority area.

You're kidding about Texas being on the east coast, right...?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

well I live 5 minutes from the Atlantic and I can see Texas from my house.........:icon_eek:

compywiz

Reaction score
Why isn't all of NJ sweating 4G right now? It is after all the state of it's headquarters and it's such a small one to take care of.

I don't get this either... most densely populated state and Verizon HQ and we get nothing... They hit NJ and they can boost that coverage per person amount tremendously.

Big Cam

Reaction score
I'm in Fargo, ND and we are a bigger city than some people think. We have some major businesses here including one of the largest Microsoft campuses in the Country.

I was happy to wake up to 4G, my very first speed test on my Revolution only gave me 2mb download, but a few hours later and I am hitting and average of 17mb.

It's a good day.