VCast Song I.D.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
This was a sweet little app on my old Verizon Motorola MOTOKRZR K1m that "listened" to the song, and identified it and the artist. Is anything like that in the works for the Droid? This is one of the few apps I'd pay for! :p

https://mediastore.verizonwireless....ntType=APPLICATN&displayName=V CAST Song ID

Try Shazam or SoundHound (formerly midomi). I've only try shazam but it didn't recognize a lot of my songs probably because they're all foreign lol!

SoundHound for Android - Multimedia

Shazam for Android - Multimedia

Andr0id

Reaction score
Shazam does exactly this.
*Edit- Guess it was well covered before I could post. I couldn't figure out how to get the QR code up lol. Still did it wrong too :p

Last edited:

bgs_piece

Reaction score
I've tried both, Shazam and Soundhound. Soundhound is MUCH quicker to identify songs plus it allows you to set a short vibration to notify you it is done since you can't see the screen while holding it up to the speaker. With Shazam I can usually count to 20 or 25 before it is done; with Soundhound I have yet to make it to 10. The only thing Shazam has going for it is its free.

Big Lou

Reaction score
SoundHound also allows humming or singing the song, provides lyrics, and has (IMO) a better interface. I'd definitely recommend SoundHound.

OP
BlueOvalBaby

BlueOvalBaby

Reaction score
I'm not fond of Shazam. It takes forever to ID a song, and you have to hold the phone thisclose to the speaker the entire time. I'll check out SoundHound. Thanks!

JimmyD

Reaction score
I'm not fond of Shazam. It takes forever to ID a song, and you have to hold the phone thisclose to the speaker the entire time. I'll check out SoundHound. Thanks!

So far, I've enjoyed using Shazam. I haven't tried SoundHound yet though.

Please let us know how your experience is with SoundHound compared to Shazam once you use it.

(I don't want to pay for SoundHound unless I see more reviews!) ;)

Big Lou

Reaction score
You do know that all purchases are refundable within 24 hours...

Just try it out yourself and if you don't like it, get your money back (though it hasn't even been charged until after that 24 hour period).

JimmyD

Reaction score

Just try it out yourself and if you don't like it, get your money back (though it hasn't even been charged until after that 24 hour period).

I did not know that!

I have well over 35 downloaded apps on my Droid, but they were all free! :p Thanks for the tip.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

I did not know that!

I have well over 35 downloaded apps on my Droid, but they were all free! :p Thanks for the tip.

One thing about that 24-hour refund. If you do that, and later decide to get the app again, you won't have that refund option. That's to prevent you from downloading an app for only when you want to use it and then getting a refund every time.

JimmyD

Reaction score

I did not know that!

One thing about that 24-hour refund. If you do that, and later decide to get the app again, you won't have that refund option. That's to prevent you from downloading an app for only when you want to use it and then getting a refund every time.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, on the advice of of this thread I got Soundhound. While I like its display and the information it gave, it didn't work as well as Shazam. I tried on 3 songs. Every time it could not connect to Soundhound (but it did keep the search). One time it did, after several retries. Shazam, while it did take longer, worked. When I returned to the aborted search, it misidentified the song, although the group was correct. Then I tried again on the same song with more volume. This time Soundhound worked properly within a few seconds.

I think I'll keep Soundhound as it'll give me more information (including lyrics), but YMMV.

OP
BlueOvalBaby

BlueOvalBaby

Reaction score

Thanks for that info! I've been hesitant to purchase many apps, because I might not like them. I've installed SoundHound, and it's markedly faster than Shazam. I tend to use the song ID when I'm driving and listeng to the radio, and I hear a song I like. As slow as Shazam is, I have to pull over and stop. You have to hold the phone right next to the speaker, or it won't ID, and because Shazam takes so long, it's just not safe. SoundHound IDd a song while sitting on my front seat within 5 seconds. It is definitely worth the money if you want fast ID, or are in a place where you can't get close to a speaker and stand there for a while.

OP
BlueOvalBaby

BlueOvalBaby

Reaction score
Well, on the advice of of this thread I got Soundhound. While I like its display and the information it gave, it didn't work as well as Shazam. I tried on 3 songs. Every time it could not connect to Soundhound (but it did keep the search). One time it did, after several retries. Shazam, while it did take longer, worked. When I returned to the aborted search, it misidentified the song, although the group was correct. Then I tried again on the same song with more volume. This time Soundhound worked properly within a few seconds.

I think I'll keep Soundhound as it'll give me more information (including lyrics), but YMMV.

Wow! I had none of these problems.