Using too much ram?

recDNA

Reaction score
2uryzuny.jpg
My phone has been sluggish so I checked my running apps to see how much ram is being used. I was surprised to see most apps on the list "restarting' and the ram varying between 0 and 38 ram available. It changes as I watch. is this little free ram norml? Any suggestions about what i should do about it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No, you have nearly no available ram and this will definitely stall the OS.

Use your app manager to uninstall memory hogs you don't use.

Edited to remove wrong information.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
razr maxx hd has 1 gb of ram.

Last edited:
OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
You're talking about internal storage. I have 24 gb free in internal storage. To see ram you must look at running apps screen. Its totally different.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You're talking about internal storage. I have 24 gb free in internal storage. To see ram you must look at running apps screen. Its totally different.

Right...totally blew that one...but the app manage instructions are the same (except for sorting). See below.

jutete8a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
Well go launcher uses a lot of memory but i always used it on tbolt so i guess htc manages ram better than motorola. Theyre all my old tbolt apps. I know what to do but I shouldn't have to. Android should turn things on and off on its own to keep sufficient ram free.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well go launcher uses a lot of memory but i always used it on tbolt so i guess htc manages ram better than motorola. Theyre all my old tbolt apps. I know what to do but I shouldn't have to. Android should turn things on and off on its own to keep sufficient ram free.

Android does shut down apps as it reaches a certain limit but even apps that are not "running" can occupy RAM. These next screen shots are just a short while after the last and I've done nothing to shut down running apps, but you'll see the available RAM has increases significantly proving Android cleaned up thing a bit.

4ezadeta.jpg

ta5uhese.jpg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android inherently keeps lots of things in RAM for faster startup of them. If you are using any type of killer on automatic that can actually cause your device to become sluggish.
Might I suggest an app like Watch Dog Lite to keep an eye on what's active and not active and it gives real time cpu usage, etc to see what's slugging down your phones performance. It could be an app gone rogue.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
In watch dog lite how do i recognize an app gone rogue?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In watch dog lite how do i recognize an app gone rogue?

It's stuck in foreground while it's supposed to be idle or in background but still using cpu.
I have an alert set so if anything goes above a set percentage it alerts me via a tone and notification in the panel bar. An example is Facebook goes rogue every now and then and it alerts me when it goes rogue. It heads off having to find what's acting up later.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Last edited:

Hodor

Reaction score

Android can only do so much. It can't compensate for all poorly coded apps and users who run too many apps. It's just like a desktop pc, there is a limit, it's not a bottomless pit. A reboot of your phone every other day or so wont hurt either. :) Watch the google and amazon apps, they seem to get out of control memory-wise quickly for some reason especially chrome. I've gotten in the habit now of automatically checking the multitasking tab and closing the apps there. I just wish it had a close all button like my wife's samsung tab2 tablet does. I guess I am nitpicking, but it gets annoying sometimes having to swipe each one individually to close it

Reaction score
you do not have that much internal storage due to the fact you are using the Razr Hd which only has 16g , 12 which all you can use, the maxx hd has 32g internal

jimmythegent

Reaction score
This phone, the HD, non rooted, usually has about on average between 100 and 200 megs free, there are some apps that can help it but lag is an issue with this phone, no way of really getting around it.

jimmythegent

Reaction score
you do not have that much internal storage due to the fact you are using the Razr Hd which only has 16g , 12 which all you can use, the maxx hd has 32g internal

What in the world are you talking about? We are talking about RAM....

DJTURNz

Reaction score
It's only been recently that my RAZR MAXX HD has starting lagging when loading the home screen app icons or opening the app drawer. My RAM available is hovering around 150mb most of the time. What I don't get is it shows I am using like 750mb, yet if you add up the "running apps" it's like 300mb.

Does that mean there are hidden apps using RAM?