Using the Note 4 with Android Auto

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A week ago I had a Kenwood DDX9902S installed in my car and Android Auto will not work. I got an 11 pin to 5 pin adapter from Amazon, which is apparently the culprit. It still will not recognize my phone when attached to the USB from the Kenwood unit. I've used the official Samsung USB that came with the phone with no luck. I successfully got Android Auto to work with my wife's LG G4, so I know it's definitely not an issue with my Kenwood.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? (Also posting this on Note 4 website).

kent.terry75

Reaction score
Did you ever get this to work? I can get it to launch, but it locks up immediately after it loads on the kenwood screen.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get this to work? I can get it to launch, but it locks up immediately after it loads on the kenwood screen.

Unfortunately, no I did not. Apparently not compatible with the VZW Note 4. My wife's LG G4 works just fine, so I know it's not the Kenwood and I also know it's the Note 4. Hopefully some day an update will come out to make it compatible.

kent.terry75

Reaction score
Unfortunately, no I did not. Apparently not compatible with the VZW Note 4. My wife's LG G4 works just fine, so I know it's not the Kenwood and I also know it's the Note 4. Hopefully some day an update will come out to make it compatible.
Just got off the phone with Kenwood again and they suggest I return it to Crutchfield. They had never heard of my issue before. Such a pain in the ass, but I guess I'll call Crutchfield tomorrow to see what I can do. It was one of the main reasons I waited for the radio in the first place.

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Kenwood again and they suggest I return it to Crutchfield. They had never heard of my issue before. Such a pain in the ass, but I guess I'll call Crutchfield tomorrow to see what I can do. It was one of the main reasons I waited for the radio in the first place.

I'll be honest with you, from what I saw, you're really limited what you can do with it anyway. If I want to mirror my phone, it's just as easy to plug it into the MHL and works just fine. However, for what I'm mostly using it for is using iHeartradio and it auto-connects with the IHeart Auto app. I've got some great Alt stations on it.

If you're returning it to Crutchfield, you're really just wasting your time. It's 100% the Note 4 and not the stereo. If you know anyone with another Android phone that is definitely compatible like my wife's is, you'll see that it's the phone and not radio.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You can mirror the phone's screen to the head unit?

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can mirror the phone's screen to the head unit?

Yes, and it works very well too. I can play a movie from my SD card, also can play a DVD. There's a safety feature that the video/DVD only works if your vehicle is in park - however that is very easy to override when installed :)

kent.terry75

Reaction score
You know I finally changed my usb cable and the damn android auto is working perfectly. Wtf something so dumb.

Sent while driving my SS no handed.

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know I finally changed my usb cable and the damn android auto is working perfectly. Wtf something so dumb.

What USB cable did you go with? I used the stock white USB with absolutely no success. Now that I've gone a couple months without using Android Auto - I'm actually over it now.

kent.terry75

Reaction score
Yea I was over it too. But thought what the f. Had a white cable from an after market lighting dc plug. Swapped it with the cable I had in the usb jack and now both work. Who knows. Been pissed for months, but today it worked all day without issues.