Using My Droid to DJ

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
So at the end of the month my sister is getting married. I'm in the wedding party AND will be the DJ. I think I'm going to try to use my Droid to control the music wirelessly and not have to be tied up having to pick songs all night. Here's my idea:

I have a complete DJ setup and use a laptop to play music. I'm going to connect my router to my laptop with no WAN/Internet connection. So I'll just be broadcasting the WiFi to my Droid.

I'll then use Gmote to open a music folder on the laptop to select the pre-picked songs and control the volume. Sounds pretty sweet no? I'll be testing it out this weekend. Just thought I'd share my Droid idea with you guys/gals.

Edit: I will be using Gmote, not Remote Droid.

Last edited:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol, if only you were a dev, and could make an app for this. Im sure it would be a hit. :)

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Sounds pretty cool to me. Let us know how it works. Be sure to secure your network or one of the guests could connect up and god-forbid start playing ABBA songs.

OP
L

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
lol, if only you were a dev, and could make an app for this. Im sure it would be a hit. :)

Well I'm reading up on Java and waiting for my Google App Inventor invite, then I can play around with developing.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well I'm reading up on Java and waiting for my Google App Inventor invite, then I can play around with developing.

im waiting for the ivite too... they made it kind ut sound like it was for teachers though... i put that im a student (which i am) but still no invite yet.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What happened to the good old days where DJ's spun real vinyl. I collect vinyl. It's the only way to listen when your not on the go!

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What happened to the good old days where DJ's spun real vinyl. I collect vinyl. It's the only way to listen when your not on the go!

lol reminds me of my grandpa.

Hhaha. Well I do have lots of old jazz records and such that make me like a grandpa, but most of my vinyl is newer trance, techno, house and such... too bad they are so big...

SL-1200

Reaction score
^ That's what I'm talking about! House, Dnb, Breaks for me. OP, that sounds sweet, let us know how is turns out.

Another_Dude

Reaction score

Something about DJ's not wanting to pull a trailer and carry their entire music collection in the palm of their hand I suppose.

Yes, vinyl is better for audio quality but sometimes portability trumps quality.

triptych

Reaction score
That is a terrible idea imo. You wouldn't be able to transition, beatmatch, or add effects.
That isn't djing, its making a jukebox with a controller.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

lol reminds me of my grandpa.

Hhaha. Well I do have lots of old jazz records and such that make me like a grandpa, but most of my vinyl is newer trance, techno, house and such... too bad they are so big...
i love jazz, its great for doing homework. (and classical) ANd for the vinyl thing, they are huge. Since my grandpas passing, i came across all his records, WHich he had at least 10 bankers boxes full of. IT was full of old country and such. He had lots of hank williams (i think thats his name). No techno though lol.

OP
L

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
So I ended up using VLC Remote to control the music for the wedding. From testing it at home, VLC Remote was better than GMote for what I needed to do. For the dinner it was fine because I just setup a playlist and used the phone to control volume or pick a different song. For the dance I couldn't use that method because I was having to adjust the EQ and volume at the same time on my mixer for different types of songs. I also was running a controller for tons of lights, fog and bubble machines. I couldn't do all that from the Droid.

So in summary, using the Droid to be a wireless DJ may not be as good of idea as I thought. I didn't look into it, but maybe if VLC had a volume leveling feature it would have been easier. Also VLC Remote needs an EQ and Search functionalities, then maybe it would be somewhat possible.

Droid Junky

Reaction score
^ That's what I'm talking about! House, Dnb, Breaks for me. OP, that sounds sweet, let us know how is turns out.

Cubase + a 200mhz Snare punching through a bassline with a break laid in the background at 170bpms = Tune!!

I been djing for 10 years and producing for 4...