Using a different gmail account.

Low Saturn

Reaction score
I received my Bionic a few days ago. All my contacts and other info got updated/syncd from the D1 to the Bionic.

Turned on the D1 that evening to start erasing stuff so my son could use it to play games, watch movies and get online via WiFi. I thought I had turned syncing off, but apparently after deleting almost all of the contacts, its syncd with my gmail, then my Bionic syncd with my Gmail. With almost all my contacts being deleted in the process. Luckily I had exported my contacts to the SD card on the D1 several before getting the Bionic and I was able to restore them.

So my question is, if I do a reset on the D1, erasing everything, can I create another Gmail account then use that on the D1 and still be able to access the market? I know it will have to be via wifi. Also, I'm running cyanogen on my D1. With doing the reset efect that in any way? Will root be gone and the stock ROM come back?

Thanks.....

gmorgan056

Reaction score
Finishing your question, you won't lose root, or the current rom you are on. All it will do is erase the information and apps stored.

darbs2U

Reaction score
Confused? I thought when you get a new phone you can use back up assistant to reload your contacts to your new phone. Also, I thought the apps can not work on your old phone, when you transfer everthing to the new one.
And that old phone, you can defer it back to factory reset. So, none of you infomration you have is on the phone. IS that correct or not? I am looking to upgrade my refurbish DROID x2, tot he newest droid if, there is one in May of 2012.

gmorgan056

Reaction score
Confused? I thought when you get a new phone you can use back up assistant to reload your contacts to your new phone. Also, I thought the apps can not work on your old phone, when you transfer everthing to the new one.
And that old phone, you can defer it back to factory reset. So, none of you infomration you have is on the phone. IS that correct or not? I am looking to upgrade my refurbish DROID x2, tot he newest droid if, there is one in May of 2012.

The OG Droid doesn't have backup assistant so there's no way to do that. I don't know if there's a verizon app or not. The apps on your old phone won't work because your gmail account is now tied to your new phone. But what you can do is a factory reset, set up a new gmail account and load it into your old phone. Then you can continue to use the market as long as your phone is attached to wifi.

darbs2U

Reaction score
So, when I up grade to my new droid in May when it is time. I can stillkeep the old phone. as long as the Wifi is hooked up, and our son can play the games we downloaded for free. Why can;t that be transfered to your new phone and trade in your old phone. To get a $100 dollars back, this is some thing Verison starting doing. Just asking

gmorgan056

Reaction score
You can do that. It's personal preference. On your new phone, the only apps that transfer over are paid apps. Any free apps you have you'll have to go and find and redownload in the market. Some people like to keep their old phones to use as music players or navigation for their cars. It's really up to you. I'm keeping my phone to flash new roms because i'm a rom addict, but don't want to mess with my bionic yet. dancedroid:icon_ banana:

OP
L

Low Saturn

Reaction score
So, when I up grade to my new droid in May when it is time. I can stillkeep the old phone. as long as the Wifi is hooked up, and our son can play the games we downloaded for free.

Yep, thats what I'm doing.

Why can;t that be transfered to your new phone and trade in your old phone.

It can. But in my case, I'm keeping my old phone (D1). I figure giving to my son to play with is a better than getting only $100 for it.

I also backed up my apps using Astro. Copied the backup folder onto my Bionics SD card, then restored my apps on the Bionic. And I used the Angry Birds back up app to backup my game saves and transferred that to the Bionic as well.

darbs2U

Reaction score
True, I love my Doid x2.. Looking at the Bionic, but I am sure there will be a new and updated one by then. dancedroid:icon_ banana:

darbs2U

Reaction score
Thats true, but some times the 100.00 dollars is nice..
So, you can use the gps on the old phone with no extra charge?