used verizon 4g phone question

bigmatt503

Reaction score
My daily driver phone is a o.g. droid razr with terrible battery life, I am a regular stalker of craigslist for great deals on used phones, A couple of days ago I found an
ad that read "trade droid DNA for old school flip phone and 50 bucks" so I was quick to reply to the ad and was told that someone was on the way to make a trade, so I told the guy I would up the $$$ to 80 bucks, the original deal fell thru!!! So I went to meet the guy and ended up giving 100 bucks and a very rough Samsung reality phone and I got the flawless DNA and an otterbox defender case!!! (great deal if you ask me). .Now after my ramble heres the question my sim card fit and the phones has been working great, If this guy was to default on his contract for whatever reason will Verizon shut my phone down?
I see tons of phones on swappa and this cannot be the first time this has been asked...

thanks for reading this drawn out story/slash question. Matt

TatDroid

Reaction score
Yes, it's my understanding that if he bought the phone on a subsidized contract and he defaults any time before the 2 year end date (without paying the early termination fee) the phone's ESN number will be listed as "bad" and may not be able to connect to the network.

OP
bigmatt503

bigmatt503

Reaction score
I understand that...what if it has been on a different account for several months? The way I read what you posted is if it was still on the original account... Anybody?

Sent from my rooted and debloated DNA

TatDroid

Reaction score
The phone was purchased on the original account. If that original account doesn't fulfill the original agreement then the phone is essentially "stolen" (from the phone provider). A person can deactivate the phone and someone else can activate it on a different account with no problem - as long as the original ACCOUNT does not go into default before the end of the 2 year contract.

Think about it for a minute. If this WASN'T the case anyone could sign up for a new account, get a new phone for $199 (instead of the $650 retail), then close their account the next day and walk away with a $450 profit.

When you buy a subsidized phone on a 2 year contract you either pay till the end of your contract or you pay the early termination fee. Otherwise the phone is not legally yours.

OP
bigmatt503

bigmatt503

Reaction score
That seems logical and also risky.
Look at all the high end phones on swappable, it seems like a huge gamble to assume that someone is going to fulfill the contract..
And what about the phone that is currently being used on the account will that one now be blocked too?
If all you day is true buying a note 3 on swappable or eBay is a gamble.. Oh well my new DNA is working great and it's a risk I took and am happy with it..

Matt

OP
bigmatt503

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Swappable? LOL! I meant "swappa"