Use Google Now Voice Search for email and texts? Android 4.2 keyboard is the answer

EdJanx

Reaction score
Since my Bionic Jellybean upgrade, I've been loving Google Now and it's awesome voice recognition capability. I wanted to use this as the default voice input method for composing texts and emails, but after hours of tinkering and Googling, I couldn't get any further than selecting it as an alternate input method, and those extra clicks made replying to messages with the better voice recognition capability a pain.

Finally, I realized that the voice recognition capability was actually a limitation of the keyboard itself, so I checked with my daughter's Nexus 7 (w/ JB 4.2) and was very impressed with the new and improved keyboard. Back to Google, where I found that the good folks at XDA Developers [APP][4.0+] [UPDATED] Android 4.2 Keyboard With Gesture Typing - xda-developers had come up with a way to allow folks to install the 4.2 keyboard on a 4.1 or earlier device. Since Bionic is doomed never to officially get to JB 4.2, I figured this was my best path.

Before getting into flashing anything, I decided to check Google Play for a 4.2 keyboard option, and I found Jelly Bean 4.2 Keyboard a https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jellybeankeyboard.f.g&hl=en. I figured that I had nothing to loose to try this first, so I installed, went to Settings --> Language & Input, and changed the Default Keyboard & Input Methods to JellyBean keyboard.

Now I couldn't be happier! Not only do I have the superior voice input capability, but also Gesture Typing, which IMHO is better than the Swype I used for years. The predictive word capabilities are also much improved over the 4.1 keyboard.

Hope this helps others who want to complete their Bionic JellyBean experience!

Janx