Use blackberry charger for Droid X?

Jon K

Reaction score
Hey all - forgot my charger and my phone is dead as can be. Plugged it into USB and it shows a green LED. Ugh. Hopefully its not dead or something (dead as in never come on again or something weird).

Anyway, at work I am the only one with a Droid X, or Droid of any variation. I have TONS of Blackberry chargers though. The one I have here is for a new Blackberry Bold, same microUSB connector and is 5v @ 700mA - will this work with the Droid? I don't want to plug it in until someone can confirm.

Can someone look at their Droid X charger to see the output?

Thanks!

Jon

scarmack

Reaction score
think about how far back we would be in technology, then again in life, if no one ever tried things that no one else could confirm. try it and find it, then let us know. i believe it should work. i dont see why it wouldnt.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
the droidx charger is 850ma

from what i know as long as the charger is rated for less ma it will be fine just take longer to charge.

i'm wondering what will happen if i try my nexus one charger which is rated higher at 1000 ma

OP
J

Jon K

Reaction score
think about how far back we would be in technology, then again in life, if no one ever tried things that no one else could confirm. try it and find it, then let us know. i believe it should work. i dont see why it wouldnt.

I don't just try things when they involve volts and amps. I've built far too many devices to blindly plug one thing into the next. The text is clearly printed on the charger. So long as they're both 5v it'll work, I just wanted to make sure that the amperage was enough.

Too much amperage you and risk damaging the device.

Reaction score
Yes! The blackberry charger will work to charge your DX. Used my old storm charger on several occasions, just takes a little longer to charge. The BB USB cable also works well for the DX.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yea, go for it. Ive used so many different types of microUSB chargers. Sometimes it just takes a bit longer to charge. I actually use my LG wall charger for my DroidX (charges faster then the usb/wall adapter from moto)

LuciferRex

Reaction score
It works, just takes longer to charge. I use my BB Storm charger all the time

mwm523

Reaction score
Too much amperage you and risk damaging the device.

Not true. Too much VOLTAGE will damage the device. For amperage (current) the device will only pull as much as it needs to charge. The amps listed on the charger is the maximum it is able to supply.

You can use a 1mA, 1.5mA, 2mA charger safely, and your Droid X will only pull what it needs. If you use one with a lower max amperage, it will charge, but more slowly than one with sufficient amperage.

JAB 67

Reaction score
So, will a 5.1 volt charger damage a device whose dedicated charger puts out 4.9 volts? Personally, I doubt it, but I'm not the expert.