usb tethering vs. wifi tethering

bikerdc17

Reaction score
so i've tried looking for this but maybe i looked in the wrong places. anyways what is faster/better wifi tethering or usb tethering with pdanet/easytether.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I don't notice a difference in bandwidth speed.

However, wifi tethering will chop through your battery like an axe-murderer on speed. I usually USB tether as a default and wifi tether only if I can't do it any other way.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use the wifi especially when we are traveling in the car.

OP
bikerdc17

bikerdc17

Reaction score
my main thought is that when i wifi to my xbox(built in wifi) it says that my connection is poor because my nat is low. i thought that if i usb tether through my laptop then bridge the connection to my xbox my speed should pick up because i wont be using ad hoc connection. when i watch netflixs at home on my laptop using the wifi from my phone it works good. when i try to watch it through the xbox it's really slow. i would relate that to the nat. but i think using my laptop as a hub kinda would straighten that out. i dont know i need input

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure but it seems to me that the more things you have connected to more interfaces thus bottlenecks.

fonefreak

Reaction score
I agree with the poster above that if you use wi-fi you better be looking for an outlet! While my X is tethered on USB it is also charging the battery, albeit slowly. The USB port is limited to 0.5 amps (500 milliamps) by design and tops out at 3.3 volts. In other words, low power. If low power, then low speed or throughput. So you're not going to see fiber-optic speeds on a USB line-out to a tethered phone. PDANet works for my purposes. There's also another app you could try from a company called Tether, the one for Blackberry. It's currently no cost because it is in beta.