Usb otg cable

Antares

Reaction score
Not yet

Hey!

I have been looking at this USB OTG connector for my Samsung S3. Do you have one? I am hesitating because I am not sure if it will fit into my phone with the case on. It is that 90 degree configuration. The charge connector that came with fits right in with my case.

Antares

OP
mkstn

mkstn

Reaction score
I have one on order from Amazon. They did have some straight connects . It is not a big investment. Worth having I think.

Antares

Reaction score
I was looking for straight connects but didn't find one. Have a link?
This is the video which got my attention on this.
[video=youtube;46IiRyigUH0]http://youtu.be/46IiRyigUH0[/video]

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I received mine this morning. So far, I've tested it with the following:

8GB USB drive (FAT32) - Works

32GB USB drive (FAT32) - Works

1.5TB AC-powered external hard drive (NTFS) - Doesn't work (The phone reads as a SD card with an incompatible file system.)

1TB USB-powered external hard drive (NTFS) - Doesn't work (The phone doesn't even read it as I'm sure there's not enough power to run it coming from the phone.)

PS3 controller - Works (Unlike with my TF300, I can't disconnect the controller after it registers on the phone and use it wirelessly over Bluetooth. It has to remain connected via USB to function.)

Wired 360 controller - Works

So, as far as external hard drives and USB drives go, NTFS is no go with the S3 (which was entirely expected). Properly formatted external hard drives will also have to be powered from another source. The cable also doesn't work with my case (Diztronic matte black). When I first push it in, it will register, but as soon as I let it go, it disconnects. This is because the plastic casing around the connector is quite large. You'll either need a case with a very large opening around the micro USB port or you'll need to remove your case to use the one linked above. I've ordered this one, which appears to be the exact same, except with a straight plug. The casing around the connector looks smaller, so I'm hoping it will fit with a case on. If not, I'll just have a cheap spare.

All in all, it's a handy cable to have around, especially for transferring files via USB drives (which is what I'll be using it for most of the time).

Last edited:
OP
mkstn

mkstn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on that. I am still waiting for mine to arrive. I don't suspect that I will use it a lot but nice to have. Ok if I have to take off the case to use it but that would be a pain for heavy use. Mostly I think I will move music files from an SD card.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I received this one yesterday, and it fits with my case on the S3 (Diztronic). It works just as well as the other one with the angled plug. It works just fine with FAT drives and PS3/360 controllers. Physically, the cable on the straight one is somewhat shorter than the cable on the angled one, which can be a good or a bad thing depending on your needs. I'll definitely be using the straight cable more since I don't have to remove my case to get it to fully plug in, but both work.

Some of the reviews on Amazon say it doesn't work with the S3. Those reviewers must have received a different cable than I did, or else they're doing something incorrectly. I haven't had any problems with it on mine.

Last edited:

Antares

Reaction score
Hmmm...that is interesting

I really want to get one of these. Yours works but three reviews on Amazon say it doesn't. I don't think you
have to do anything special do you? Just plug it in and go. Maybe their thumb drives weren't formatted with
FAT. I think it would be great for my music. You can play an MP3 file from it?

Verizon Galaxy S 3
Previously HTC Incredible

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I really want to get one of these. Yours works but three reviews on Amazon say it doesn't. I don't think you
have to do anything special do you? Just plug it in and go. Maybe their thumb drives weren't formatted with
FAT. I think it would be great for my music. You can play an MP3 file from it?

Verizon Galaxy S 3
Previously HTC Incredible

MP3s play just fine, as do videos. Documents open up as well. I'm not sure why those reviewers couldn't get it to work, but mine worked right away.

biggles

Reaction score
Can I use this to connect xbox 360 controller to Galaxy S3?

Amazon.com: SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories have a wired xbox 360 controller. Would like to use a physical gamepad for shadowgun. If this cable doesn't work, what else could I use?

Or, could I connect with a ps3 controller and bluetooth? Only problem is that I do not have a ps3 controller. I would rather use the 360 controller if this is possible.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Amazon.com: SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories have a wired xbox 360 controller. Would like to use a physical gamepad for shadowgun. If this cable doesn't work, what else could I use?

Or, could I connect with a ps3 controller and bluetooth? Only problem is that I do not have a ps3 controller. I would rather use the 360 controller if this is possible.

Merged with the existing thread about USB OTG cables in the Galaxy S3 Accessories forum. :)

Yes, you can use a wired 360 controller with that OTG cable. I have one of those exact cables. Take a look at this post on the first page of the thread that details my quick tests with the cable. A PS3 controller will work while connected with a USB cable as well, but it will not work over Bluetooth without root and an app from the Play store. I also have one of these, which is the same thing except it has a straight plug instead of an angled plug. As mentioned my post about testing the cable, the angled plug makes using the cable difficult if you have a case on your S3 (and with many cases, it's impossible to use). Unless you have a specific use for the angled plug, I definitely recommend going with the straight one.

Several of the reviews for both on Amazon say they don't work with the S3. I'm not sure what's wrong with the cables those reviewers received because both of them work with my S3 without any problems.

Last edited:

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
Merged with the existing thread about USB OTG cables in the Galaxy S3 Accessories forum. :)

Yes, you can use a wired 360 controller with that OTG cable. I have one of those exact cables. Take a look at this post on the first page of the thread that details my quick tests with the cable. A PS3 controller will work while connected with a USB cable as well, but it will not work over Bluetooth without root and an app from the Play store. I also have one of these, which is the same thing except it has a straight plug instead of an angled plug. As mentioned my post about testing the cable, the angled plug makes using the cable difficult if you have a case on your S3 (and with many cases, it's impossible to use). Unless you have a specific use for the angled plug, I definitely recommend going with the straight one.

Several of the reviews for both on Amazon say they don't work with the S3. I'm not sure what's wrong with the cables those reviewers received because both of them work with my S3 without any problems.

I have a generic Chinese otg cable that works fine but 2 that do not... the 2 that do not,.work fine on my xyboard and Xoom tablets... the PS3 controller works natively but the Xbox requires an app...

biggles

Reaction score
Amazon.com: JKase(TM) Micro USB OTG Host Cable to USB (2.0) Adapter for Samsung Galaxy S III / S3 , Galaxy S2 i9100 / Samsung Galaxy Nexus / Samsung N 7000 Galaxy Note (JKase Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories ordered this usb otg cable since it is listed as being compatible with the Galaxy S3. Will report back after it arrives and is tested.

Do you think an Xbox 360 controller will work with Modern Combat 3 and Nova 3? Or how about Street Fighter and King of Fighters?