USB Mass Storage sync with GM vehicles

MAXXimum

Reaction score
Hi All! I got my Maxx on Saturday and am still amazed! Coming from the Droid Incredible its quite a step up.

I am trying to use the Maxx in my car via the USB port to stream music with no avail. The car's (2010 Chevy Traverse) USB port works with a thumb drive and my wife's Ipod Touch, so I know the stereo is working correctly.

I have tried USB Mass Storage mode and get the message (on the car stereo) "USB Error - device may now be safeley removed"
In the PC Mode I get the same message
In the Windows Media Sync mode I get "Incompatible device".
In the Charge Only mode it will give me an Ipod icon on the stereo, but nothing works.

I have gone into settings, storage, and "disable software install" (yes, I actually read the help screens) and toggled that on and off, making no difference.

I have loaded a couple songs onto the root directories of the phone storage and SD card as well, thinking maybe the stereo just wasn't finding the correct folders.

It did work one time, so its possible, but I have tried so many different combinations that I cannot remember which one worked.

I've even tried different USB cables, thinking I may have a bad cable.

I have ordered the car dock from Amazon (with the USB cables and 1/8 stereo plugs) and its to be here next week.

I Googled and found someone with a similar problem on a Verizon forum, but no answer.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I believe the problem is that when is USB Mass storage mode you are actually reading both the internal and external SD card and it is confusing the vehicle. I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado and mine does not work either, that USB port really only works best with an Ipod (sadly) my Zune won't work either I have to use the AUX port.