USB device not recognized when plugged into computer

cowpow

Reaction score
I have tried plugging the provided USB cable from my droid to several laptops and each time a pop-up box informs me that the USB device is not recognized. It says the device has malfunctioned, and to try reconnecting the device....but no matter which USB port I plug it into on 3 different laptops I can't access my droid. This is the first time I have ever plugged it in! Any suggestions?

Eivaldr

Reaction score
Hey there,
Honestly I dont have access to my droid as of yet (in the mail) so I cant be totally sure but it sounds like you need to load the motorola USB drivers that can be found here. That's only the windows versions though. Hope that helps you, pretty sure it will. Anyway, GL :).

OP
C

cowpow

Reaction score
Thanks for that Eivaldr, but I had in fact tried that. I downloaded the 64bit device installer to my laptop with no luck. I run windows 7 on my computer, but I have also tried plugging in the USB to other computers using windows XP or Vista....no luck.

drewshaver

Reaction score
Check the notifications on your droid after you've plugged it in. You have to explicitly use the droid as a usb storage device.

OP
C

cowpow

Reaction score
:icon_ banana: All is well. I went to Verizon and explained what happened. The sales rep tried using my phone and my charger/USB cord on his computer and the same thing happened. He then grabbed a new Droid phone and used the same charger/USB cord with no problem having it connect to the computer. The guy said he suspects it was a problem with microSD card, but he went ahead and gave me a new Droid altogether but let me keep the previous charger/USB cord. Once I got home I tried it out and it worked perfectly.

For those of you that posted I should check my notifications tab, the Droid would not even register that it was connected via USB to a computer, let alone pop up a notification that I could mount/unmount the card. Thanks for the advice though.

Eivaldr

Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. I had a similar problem on previous phones and had to get it exchanged at the verizon store shortly after puchase. Sometimes these phones are just DOA for certain features, which makes me wonder if or to what extent they are tested.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Good support from Verizon

It certainly sounds like Verizon is quick to swap out phones when things go wrong. I like that! No hassle, just pretty good service.

Boris Badenov

Reaction score
My issue is a bit different.
When I plug in via USB into my windows 7 laptop it is registered and appeared as a separate drive, but when I try to open this drive in explorer – it is not accessible. The card seems fine, I was able to move files via Bluetooth with no problem.

Any suggestions?

Mixx

Reaction score
:icon_ banana: All is well. I went to Verizon and explained what happened. The sales rep tried using my phone and my charger/USB cord on his computer and the same thing happened. He then grabbed a new Droid phone and used the same charger/USB cord with no problem having it connect to the computer. The guy said he suspects it was a problem with microSD card, but he went ahead and gave me a new Droid altogether but let me keep the previous charger/USB cord. Once I got home I tried it out and it worked perfectly.

For those of you that posted I should check my notifications tab, the Droid would not even register that it was connected via USB to a computer, let alone pop up a notification that I could mount/unmount the card. Thanks for the advice though.

I had the exact same problem with the messages "USB device not recognized" and "USB device has malfunctioned" appearing even when the droid was just charging with a PC (not file syncing). Sometimes it would go a whole day without an issue, other times it would occur immediately when connected, although file syncing was always an issue.

The droid would also sporadically reset itself. It was intermittent however, sometimes I was able to mount the drive, but the drive would dismount itself after a few seconds or minutes. This occurred on both a Windows XP 32 bit laptop (with both 4.1.0 and 4.2.0 drivers tested) and a Windows 7 x64 desktop (with and without 4.1.0 installed). At one point performing a file operation on the SD card actually blue-screened my Windows 7 box, which is what prompted me to return the droid to Verizon for another one, using this thread as backup.

Since I was within 30 days of purchasing it they were willing to (or had to upon my request?) swap it for a new one. The tech at the store told the sales guy he also believed it was a hardware issue although it's unclear whether he had any prior knowledge of an issue.

On a side note, the new phone's autofocus works like a charm whereas my old one’s only hope of autofocusing seemed to be the forthcoming 12/11/09 update. My guess is their first batch of phones had some issues that were resolved with a minor release with their next batch.

cuskit

Reaction score
My Droid has been fine with my Apple Mac computer up until an incident today. Usually when I plug in the USB cable, I won't see the phone on my computer screen until I pull down the notification on the droid and use the prompt there to mount it. Then it appears on my desktop screen.

I've been in the habit of just leaving it plugged in (USB) while working on my computer - today all of a sudden a window popped up on my desktop screen say I had removed a device without properly unmounting it first. I had not touched the phone or any other usb device at the time. With that - all usb was gone. My keyboard, printer, disc card reader - all of it not recognized by the computer. It took a reboot to cure the issue. All has been well since. Very puzzling.

mike

cuskit

Reaction score
My Droid has been fine with my Apple Mac computer up until an incident today. Usually when I plug in the USB cable, I won't see the phone on my computer screen until I pull down the notification on the droid and use the prompt there to mount it. Then it appears on my desktop screen.

I've been in the habit of just leaving it plugged in (USB) while working on my computer - today all of a sudden a window popped up on my desktop screen say I had removed a device without properly unmounting it first. I had not touched the phone or any other usb device at the time. With that - all usb was gone. My keyboard, printer, disc card reader - all of it not recognized by the computer. It took a reboot to cure the issue. All has been well since. Very puzzling.

mike
Oops! It happened again today. Phone was charging with usb cable plugged into the computer, all of a sudden all usb on the computer was gone again - screen popped up saying "device disconnected improperly". Again - I had not touched anything - not even in the room. Phone does not show any notification when the usb cable is plugged in now. I'm off to my VZW store.... :(

mikey

LRapp

Reaction score
Did you click the "USB debugging" button? Under settings/applications/development

Jmart922

Reaction score
Haven't had to connect my droid to my pc in a while, but today I was going transfer some files over to my pc and noticed that my computer wasn't recognizing my phone, tried enablin usb debugging, didn't work, there was no usb icon in the notification bar, however it charged the phone. So I used an sd card memory reader to hook my microsd card straight through the usb slot, and ended up gettting a reformat pop up, I avoided this by hooking the memory card reader through a usb cable connected to another memory card reader for the normal sd card reader and was able to access my files finally, so any ideas on how to get my pc to recognize my phone without all this hassle? Has anybody tried to copy all their files to their pc and then reformat their microsd card and then move all the files back and see if that helped at all? Sorry for any confusion

rhbalser

Reaction score
None of my computers, (4 desktops and one laptop) will recognize my phone. If I take the laptop to the sprint store, it is recognized. When I bring it home, it again says it is not recognized. I think my house is haunted! Could my wireless network be causing the interference? All other USB devices are recognized and work fine.