usb connector pin broken - can't charge - need pictures

VTL

Reaction score
First time poster, thought i'd give this forum a whirl.

One of the pins in my Razr HD mini-usb connector is bent and pushed inward. I think it is the ground pin (pin 5). The phone is now dead. I stripped an old charger (5V supply) to expose the pos and neg wires and am attempting to charge the phone by contacting the pos and ground pins (1 and 5) with the exposed wires on the charger. Anyone had success doing this? I was hoping that I didn't need to short other pins or add a resistor, etc.

Desperate to get photos off the phone! Verizon says its not possible with this phone.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
you can charge it directly to the battery terminals, but don't do it for extended periods of time. doing it this way bypasses the proper regulation done by the phone. i would say no more than 20-30 minutes at a time, with an equal cool down period between each cycle, until you get enough charge to do what you need to.

monitor the battery for swelling or excessive temperature during this process, if either of these occur stop charging IMMEDIATELY! and sit the phone outside away from flammables until these conditions subside. do not continue additional charging cycles if either of these conditions appear. there is a real risk of the battery exploding if you over charge it using this method.
(just an fyi)

OP
V

VTL

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. The neg pin is pretty badly damaged so I am not positive that it even has continuity anymore. If I charge it this way, should I expect to still see the orange charging light illuminate?

This is tedious! I now have a tiny sewing needle on each of the exposed wires on my old charger. Trying to secure the needles on the pins is...a challenge.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
its preferred to go directly to the battery terminals, not the pins
(although if you can go to the pins there is no danger and you can charge for extended periods of time)
(charging at the terminals will also be faster, as there is no regulation by the phone, although you must cycle the charges for safety).
doing it this way, i doubt you will see the charging light, because you are bypassing the charging circuit in the phone