Urgent help!!!! Dinc2 has crashed completely!!!

roover

Reaction score
My DINC2 was working as usual until approximately 3 hours ago when the weather function of the clock widget started to have an error that it wouldn't update correctly.

I tried removing the widget and putting it up again, no luck. I uninstalled a couple of things I had downloaded in the last 2 or 3 days (Skyvi, AIVC, Ocean live wallpaper) and restarted the phone. When I restarted things seemed more or less ok, but I got the same error, and then from the settings screen the small home button on the lower left stopped functioning and there was no way to get back to the home screen.

So I restarted again and even worse. The phone started normally, but then Whatsapp came up saying it had a problem, two error messages from HTC showed up and there was no way to get to the home screen and there was also no service. Google login information worked and seemed to go through correctly.

I decided I would turn the phone off and pull the battery, but when I selected turn the off the screen went black with everything but the top bar with the usual icons for WiFi and battery and such. When I pushed the power button the screen blocked as usual and showed my current wallpaper, but when I slid down to go to the main page nothing. I waited a good long while and finally opted to just pull the battery. Not my first choice, but didn't seem to have many options.

When I started the phone again, I got the usual start up crap from HTC and the red Verizon Droid stuff all the way through to when the little Droid bug with the two eyes popped up. Then it just stayed there with the little bug. So I pulled the battery again because at this point, honestly, what does it matter. Same deal, it has had a good half hour each time to get past the little red eyed thing and it doesn't.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

I am out of the country so I can't just go to my local Verizon and get it plugged in, and even if I could I don't know if that would solve anything. I have downloaded various apps in the last few days, different live wallpapers, Evernote, Skitch, etc. But yesterday I deleted the majority of the wallpapers, and I doubt that either Evernote or Skitch would cause this kind of meltdown.

Help??? I would be SOOOOO happy if someone could suggest something ... anything ... well, other than just smashing it with a hammer, because that is starting to look like an appealing possibility ...

P.S. I have had the typical problem with that the options for the world clock and alarm clock disappear from my clock widget for a while, and on Saturday they randomly started to work again, and then just as abruptly disappeared later that same day. I think it maybe related to adding and removing apps, but it has never caused this kind of issue before.

OP
R

roover

Reaction score
I am complete stock! I am WAY too much of a newbie to have done anything else. I got my SIM card unlocked, but Verizon gave me the code since I am out of the country.

I got to the main screen and decided, just for laughs, to try the recovery option ... the phone flashed its HTC screen and then said downloading something from Verizon with a little hard disk and a green arrow, but promptly changed to a picture of a phone with a red triangle with an exclamation point in the middle

Any ideas about that one? I am going to do what you suggested now and just reset the phone, but I'm hoping there aren't more serious issues. The reset should kick any weirdness out of the system right?

Are you completely stock?
If so your only option will be to press and hold the volume down and the power buttons together at the same time.
To get to the hboot menu. Then using the volume up and down buttons to move the cursor and use the power button to select the bootloader option
Then go to factory reset (or something like that) and select that.
Everything will go back to like it was when u bought it.
If you unlocked your sim card slot then it will still be unlocked since it is permanent.
And all of your photos and whatnots on your sd card will remain untouched also.

If you are rooted and have s-off then you should know what to do about that :)

OP
R

roover

Reaction score
My next question ... the phone says that to be activated it has to make a call or something to Verizon, which of course is one of those *228 numbers, and since I'm not in the States can't be connected.

Not surprisingly when you call Verizon for help, they funnel you through their automated system until you get to a point where they say the number has been disconnected and you should call the original 1-800 number you just dialed and had send you to the dead end.

The emergency dialer works, so I'm guessing they will have to give me a different number to call, but I have no idea what that might be. Thoughts?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
That was not the best advice because you cannot *228 from outside the US.
Your only option now is to somehow get VZW on the phone.