Urgent!: Did I win a Tablet or is this a scam?

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Today I got this in the mail:
Congratulations
First Name Last Name (will not disclose mine for security reasons)
We have a gift waiting for you! A Touchpad Tablet,
Complete with new Android software.

Bonus
For calling today, you will also receive a
$100 Restaurant.com Gift Card.

1-732-xxx-xxxx (gave area code, will not disclose rest of number for security)
Tuesday-Friday from 1PM-8PM
Confirmation Number:............

Return address was P.O. Box in West Palm Beach, FL, is this real or should I ask others if this is legitimate or a scam? Any help here is greatly appreciated guys.

RUSHgsxr

Reaction score
No harm in calling it up, but they'll pry ask for a credit card to 'verify' who you are, in which case its a scam. Or they'll try to get you to buy something else. No harm if calling to see tho.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

tuffD1

Reaction score
Scam. If you call they may ask for your card number. I suckered myself a couple of years ago. Lost $25 from somebody dealing with walmart for some laptop deal (letter looked official though). Good thing payday was the next day, so what ever. Lesson learned

Sent from my ProjElite Droid¹

OP
jpiarull

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Has a voucher saying I need to go to Direct Buy of Edison NJ for a "90 minute visitation", that's required. "Retail value of the Touchpad is $249"...sounds like opening a can of worms here...

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Sounds like they are trying to get you into a time share presentation... they usually would recruit you using some sort of a gift card or a gift, Time Share sales people are aggressive, very good in persuading you into buying a time share as if it will change your life upside down..

Considering the price drop in Touchpads recently it makes sense they try to use those to lure people in.. you might actually get one, but trust they will make you pay for it by trying to sell you something you should absolutely stay away from..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Has a voucher saying I need to go to Direct Buy of Edison NJ for a "90 minute visitation", that's required. "Retail value of the Touchpad is $249"...sounds like opening a can of worms here...

Not a Timeshare presentation, Direct Buy discount wholesale club. You will be talked into buying a membership. Costs thousands.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Reaction score

I have gone to several of these presentations for different companies. I go in, listen to what they say, politely decline to join, then take my gift or gift card and thank them for their time.

There was one where one of their "presenters" got upset with me for saying no and I guess he realized I only came for the $100 prepaid visa, and he got an attitude with me. I brought it to his boss's attention that I was invited to come listen and the free gift was offered with no obligation to buy and I didn't appreciate the attitude. So, they tacked on another $50 and apologized. :)

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I have gone to several of these presentations for different companies. I go in, listen to what they say, politely decline to join, then take my gift or gift card and thank them for their time.

There was one where one of their "presenters" got upset with me for saying no and I guess he realized I only came for the $100 prepaid visa, and he got an attitude with me. I brought it to his boss's attention that I was invited to come listen and the free gift was offered with no obligation to buy and I didn't appreciate the attitude. So, they tacked on another $50 and apologized. :)

And they usually have reeeeallly good food at those things too! :biggrin:

To OP. Nobody has brought this up, but the touch pad comes stock with webos not Android, just thought I'd point that out! ;)

Reaction score
And they usually have reeeeallly good food at those things too! :biggrin:

To OP. Nobody has brought this up, but the touch pad comes stock with webos not Android, just thought I'd point that out! ;)

Good catch. I just skimmed right over that part and focused on his general question but you are correct. The Touchpad does not run on Android so if that is what the flyer said, either it is a scam or they just don't know the difference.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Congratulations

Bonus

Return address was P.O. Box in West Palm Beach, FL, is this real or should I ask others if this is legitimate or a scam? Any help here is greatly appreciated guys.

This is usually the marketing technique or consumer hook that companies are using to get your digest on products. If you get anything involving the dreaded credit card info, sail on. In most cases you will get the product but in the end your email is loaded with free offers and marketing hell. You've been selected!:) lol I've made the mistake once years back trying to get the ipad as it was being beta tested. Needless to say it was real but I haven't had a moments peace in two years without having to unsubscribe to these markets that most I never knowingly signed up for. Dont get me wrong, you can get lots of free merchandise if you pay other people for a service and or fill out applications for credit and etc..How about the 1000$ Walmart gift card or the God awful cruise calls. When i hear that damned tug boat or ship horn I frickin cringe! Anyway, if you have the time and resources it doesn't hurt to call but it may follow you if they get any info. And trust me. I know they must have some good literate people tracking data and what not to have gotten some of this info...peace!

Tapped via Motorola Droid Razr!
Peace!

Danny1971jdw

Reaction score
Congratulations

Bonus

It's probably a scam. I don't trust sources such as that. I've never been burned by one before, but I don't want to take no chances. My advice to you is that I'd just throw the junk away. I know that it's tempting to trying it, but it's best to leave it alone. In the future, you might can purchase you one if you don't have one now. If you do have one, than enjoy it free with worry. Good luck, and please always remember, it's better to purchase your stuff than maybe winning it. You could owe your life of having to pay for it.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using DroidForums

MdicnMan

Reaction score
It actually sound like a timeshare sales promo. I'd block my callerID andcall the number. I've gotten some great swag for sitting though a sales pitch.

Sent from my GT-i9100 using Tapatalk

diannekillian

Reaction score
Direct buy mailer

It is a way for direct buy to get you into there store so they can give you their 90 min. talk and hope that you join their club. However if after the 90 minutes you
decide you don't want to be a member of the club you'll still get the free gift for taking the time to allow them to show you what the direct buy club is about and if you bring your original mail you'll get the $100 gift card as well. I know because myself and my husband did it and we opted out after the 90 min talk and still received what they promised.

Dianne

Beka27

Reaction score
If you question offers in the future, you can usually google the phone number and will come up with other sites detailing whether it's a legit offer or not. I also recommend everyone have a junk email address so for all the random sites out that that require an email, I use my junk account rather than my "good" gmail. At this point, my junk account gets well over 200 emails a day. My "good" gmail gets 20 tops... from people/places I actually WANT contacting me.