Upgrading very soon! =]

Cdjones187

Reaction score
I'm upgrading from my DX and really don't want 4g because I know my area won't be covered until after my contract is up. So my question is, is the DX2 the only non 4g alternative that has a dual core processor?

And if so, how does the DX2 compare to the DX? I've heard a lot of mixed thoughts but usually just because its not 4g or doesn't have more ram.. The ram is a question, why double the processing units but not add ram? Wouldn't the thunderbolts speed be just as fast?

OR

Should I just wait for the Droid 3? =] (I really hope that's not long if I do have to wait...)

I usually keep up on all this and would know what to get or to wait for something better but work has been busy for months now.

Thanks in advance!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I would go with the droid 3 over the dx2 or the thunderbolt...regardless of 4g (on the thunderbolt)

OP
Cdjones187

Cdjones187

Reaction score
I would go with the droid 3 over the dx2 or the thunderbolt...regardless of 4g (on the thunderbolt)

Yeah the thunderbolt was just an example of the ram vs cpu power comparison. Front facing cameras and 4g are definitely not sales points for me. I was also thinking D3, I do miss my D1 physical keyboard but I love the DX's big screen!

Droidram56

Reaction score
I'm upgrading from my DX and really don't want 4g because I know my area won't be covered until after my contract is up. So my question is, is the DX2 the only non 4g alternative that has a dual core processor?

And if so, how does the DX2 compare to the DX? I've heard a lot of mixed thoughts but usually just because its not 4g or doesn't have more ram.. The ram is a question, why double the processing units but not add ram? Wouldn't the thunderbolts speed be just as fast?

OR

Should I just wait for the Droid 3? =] (I really hope that's not long if I do have to wait...)

I usually keep up on all this and would know what to get or to wait for something better but work has been busy for months now.

Thanks in advance!
Do you need a physical keyboard? Are you ruling out manufacturers other than Motorola? If not, wait for the Samsung Galaxy s2, which will be dual core but possibly not LTE, and compare it with the DX2. You might also consider the HTC Droid Incredible 2. It is single core but otherwise is a good 3G alternative to the DX2.

OP
Cdjones187

Cdjones187

Reaction score

OR

Thanks in advance!
Do you need a physical keyboard? Are you ruling out manufacturers other than Motorola? If not, wait for the Samsung Galaxy s2, which will be dual core but possibly not LTE, and compare it with the DX2. You might also consider the HTC Droid Incredible 2. It is single core but otherwise is a good 3G alternative to the DX2.

Ill look into the S2, I dont need a physical keyboard but it was nice. I use swype now, and I'm in the beta testing so i can get it on any device. Really wanting a dual core phone with a big screen. Thanks for the suggestion

UPDATE: So I don't know how I didn't hear about the GS2... Perfect timing though, I just got my verizon deposit back which was gonna go towards paying full price on a new phone, just looked at my verizon account and I'm eligible to upgrade at discount price! Any idea how much the S2 will cost with discount? 199 for the dx2 and I cant imagine it being more than the 32gb iphone for 299 (749 otherwise)

kookk

Reaction score
I strongly advise against the x2. I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough. Ugly screen, tons of bugs, and gb nowhere in sight. Locked bootloader and I'm personally no fan of blur.

Sent from my Droid

Bretski169

Reaction score
U should have never gotten rid of your OG Droid. Vanilla android for life!

Droid from sent.

OP
Cdjones187

Cdjones187

Reaction score
I strongly advise against the x2. I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough. Ugly screen, tons of bugs, and gb nowhere in sight. Locked bootloader and I'm personally no fan of blur.

Sent from my Droid

That's one reason I was wondering about alternatives. They say the DX screen is qhd with a higher resolutions but it still looks like crap compared to the screen on the GS2. The DX screen looks really washed out, ide rather have vivid colors and a good contrast ration than %26 more pixel density on a crap screen.

Also, I loved how easy it was on the OG droid to flash custom roms/kernels, but that was just to improve the performance of the phone. Im running deodexed .596 and am happy with the speed and replacing the launcher makes a world of difference also. So bootloader wont be an issue (for me) as long as these new phones are the powerhouses they are talked up to be. I havent owned a samsung before, are they all locked down like motorola also?

U should have never gotten rid of your OG Droid. Vanilla android for life!

Droid from sent.

I still have it, and a DX. =]

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have a Droid x and it works well, just keep that imo. There is nothing out that is much of an improvement. TB and Revolution are a tad faster but have issues. Droid Charge is a bit slower. X2 seems to have a series of software bugs and memory issues. We don't know about Droid 3 yet...I would wait for reviews on that. Dinc2 seems to be all around good but may not be too much of an improvement but still seems solid.

Sent from my fascinate

OP
Cdjones187

Cdjones187

Reaction score
If you have a Droid x and it works well, just keep that imo. There is nothing out that is much of an improvement. TB and Revolution are a tad faster but have issues. Droid Charge is a bit slower. X2 seems to have a series of software bugs and memory issues. We don't know about Droid 3 yet...I would wait for reviews on that. Dinc2 seems to be all around good but may not be too much of an improvement but still seems solid.

Sent from my fascinate

Yeah ill have to wait.. Galaxy S2 sounds like a no go for the United State at this time being.

HTC is probably brewing something up, and the Bionic will be out soon too.

ALSO: Chatted online with a verizon rep and was told since i have unlimited data now that that includes 4g. Meaning 4g phones may be in question for me now. Even though it wont be in my area, doesnt mean I cant enjoy it elsewhere =]