Upgrading Soon!!! Need Advice on Phones and Plans (Galaxy Nexus Inside)

Whitechapel

Reaction score
Hello!

In the next few weeks I'm finally going to be branching out and getting away from the family plan. I haven't had a Verizon account by myself since 2007 or so. Now the issue is picking out the phone I want...which is no issue at all (because I LOVE cellphones)!!!!! I'm immediately wanting the Galaxy Nexus. ICS 4.0, G+ optimized (in recent weeks I've really strayed away from Facebook and am more active on G+. Social networking isn't a deal breaker for me but I tried to stay away from it and I can't!), the processor looked solid, tons of RAM, plus 4G capability, and the 5.0 MP camera should be more than fine. You should know I'm a Google honk, and I will be leaning heavily towards a Google phone. I'm currently using an original Droid, and it's great, but it's older and has a lot of problems. I wanted to know your opinions on phones, especially the Galaxy Nexus. My coworker got the Droid Razr and honestly, I felt disappointed when I played with it. It was nice, but if I'm spending a couple hundred on a phone/plan then I want something I'm going to love and be happy with, and the phone didn't feel like it was worth anywhere near that much, especially because she was paying for 4G (we were inside at work and she was getting no reception, so I couldn't really play with the 4G). I'm a computer dork who's looking to get the most out of his cellphone investment, especially if I'll be stuck with it for another 2 years or whenever I can upgrade.

Another question now... is it worth it to just grab the phone now or is some huge release on the horizon? I don't want to get my phone when I could wait an extra couple weeks for something bigger and better. And I'm no stranger to how cellphones work, you get the newest technology and in another 3-6 months you're out of luck. It's just part of the game, I just want to get the best I can for the time.

Plans, how much does it run a month typically for unlimited text, I'll have to check my phone usage and judge what kind of minutes I'd need, then I'd probably get the 4G too? Anyway, if you had to ball park it, how much should I be expecting to pay would you think? I'm just trying to get my information gathered before I do any real hardcore research. And honestly I'd rather get the story straight from you guys over any Verizon bull**** they'll give me.

I had a question too about credit checks. I pretty much destroyed some of my credit in college. I've spent the past few weeks paying off all the really bad things and am in much better financial shape than before. So at this point I'm concerned about my possibly damaged credit having an effect on me getting a new phone. I know sometimes they make you pay a deposit. Again, just trying to get a ballpark figure at this point to see how much I'm going to be dropping on everything so I can plan ahead. :)

Also, when I can, I plan on rooting it. I rooted my Droid and have had 0 regrets with it, so I plan on doing the same when I can to the new phone. I wont be getting any insurance or any of that crap anyway.

Last edited:

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Unlimited texting is included in the data package so don't pay extra for it. If you are currently on an unlimited data plan with the family line make sure to just take that line and number so you can stay grandfathered into unlimited data. You'll be looking around $60-75/ month for the plan depending on your minutes. Don't forget that when you call another Verizon phone its free so if you talk to your family and friend on Verizon the most, go with a lower minute plan. I would start with 700 or so. You can always lower it later and Verizon is pretty good about helping you figure out the best minute plan after a few months so you can average your usage.

Don't wait for the latest and greatest phone, go with the nexus. You sound like you already have your mind made up. You can root it as soon as you get home from the Verizon store. Good luck, hope I helped a little.

This post is Incredible 2!

OP
Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Reaction score
Unlimited texting is included in the data package so don't pay extra for it. If you are currently on an unlimited data plan with the family line make sure to just take that line and number so you can stay grandfathered into unlimited data. You'll be looking around $60-75/ month for the plan depending on your minutes. Don't forget that when you call another Verizon phone its free so if you talk to your family and friend on Verizon the most, go with a lower minute plan. I would start with 700 or so. You can always lower it later and Verizon is pretty good about helping you figure out the best minute plan after a few months so you can average your usage.

Don't wait for the latest and greatest phone, go with the nexus. You sound like you already have your mind made up. You can root it as soon as you get home from the Verizon store. Good luck, hope I helped a little.

This post is Incredible 2!

Very cool, thanks for the info!

I pretty much have my mind made up yes :))) but I am keeping an open mind about everything. I want reviews from actual Galaxy Nexus users too so I can know what issues there are and if it's something I can work with. I can also do my own research on this too but I figured I'd ask since I was here and this forum is great enough as is. I actually asked my mom (who is the account admin) to look at my past bills and let me know my minutes usage per month so I can figure out the minutes I use, and a lot of my friends are indeed already on Verizon. I do make a fair amount of calls to land lines too (home, doctors, etc) though, and I know Verizon can (and will) murder you with fees if you go over.

Also, does anyone know how discounts work? My job offers discounts through Verizon, so I'm going to look at that tomorrow when I go in. I already have the discount applied to my family plan, but since I'll be moving on to my own I'd like to apply it to my account (and the money my mom will be saving will be greater than the discount, so it only makes sense to take it with me).

Last edited:

treyinga

Reaction score
As far as discounts go, they can tell you as soon as they enter the information. I get like 18% off a month and 25% off accessories. I do not think you will ever get money off the phone. If you are a brand new customer, you really need to look at Costco or Sams. Costco had the Nexus for like $220 with an additional kit for free. You are in a unique position if you are opening your account for the first time and you are eligible for some one time only discounts and bargains. Amazon is another place where you can do it all online and I want to say they had it for $199 at one point.

As for phones, if you know that is what you want..go for it. You will find tons of people here with similar satisfaction with the Nexus. I kept going back and forth and finally decided on the Droid Razr Maxx, but that was for my needs. I liked the battery and don't tell other people on the forum, but I like the Moto blurr, and it was what I was use to.

Good luck to you!!!

OP
Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Reaction score
As far as discounts go, they can tell you as soon as they enter the information. I get like 18% off a month and 25% off accessories. I do not think you will ever get money off the phone. If you are a brand new customer, you really need to look at Costco or Sams. Costco had the Nexus for like $220 with an additional kit for free. You are in a unique position if you are opening your account for the first time and you are eligible for some one time only discounts and bargains. Amazon is another place where you can do it all online and I want to say they had it for $199 at one point.

As for phones, if you know that is what you want..go for it. You will find tons of people here with similar satisfaction with the Nexus. I kept going back and forth and finally decided on the Droid Razr Maxx, but that was for my needs. I liked the battery and don't tell other people on the forum, but I like the Moto blurr, and it was what I was use to.

Good luck to you!!!

Solid, I have a Costco membership too. Thanks for the info!