upgrade and unlimited data

Reaction score
So my upgrade is in october. My grilfriend and i have unlimited data on our plan that we were grandfathered in with. We have heard some rumors that when you upgrade now they make you choose a data tier and you lose the unlimited data. This is seriously going to impact our decision to even stay with verizon if thats true and we find another carrier has ok service in our area. Can anyone else say if these rumors are true about losing unlimited data?
I am quite displeased with the bugginess of jelly bean for the droid 4 and her samsung stratosphere is horrendous. But the lack of physical keyboards is really another displeasing situation with all the new phones

Last edited:

huskur

Reaction score
If you upgrade at subsidized pricing you will be forced off "unlimited" and forced on "tiered data". No 2 ways about that. It's true.

The ONLY way to keep unlimited and get a new phone is to purchase it at full price.

Lets look at the $$$. Retail for a S4 is $650. VZW upgrade price is $199 + $30 upgrade fee (this is new also) for a total of $239. So buying out right will cost you $411 more out of pocket. Essentially it is costing you $411 to keep unlimited. Is it worth it? To me....yes. I have used 3.222 GB in 7
days.

edit: now to get some more of your $$ back just sell your D4 for $150 or so on Ebay now your cost to keep unlimited is around $260

Last edited:

huskur

Reaction score
I will purchase the S4 out right at $650 and sell my Note 2 on Ebay with accessories for around $400 at the minimum so I am basically getting the S4 for $250 or less and still keep unlimited. There is always a work around of sorts.

karlsdroids

Reaction score
I kept the unlimited package by asking for the loyalty department. I got the S3

I tried that and it was a policy change on July something 2012 that forces everyone getting a new phone to step off of the unlimited plan. I've still got 2 phones on the unlimitedplan with around 12 gb's/ month. I guess it's coming full circle for all of those months I had a LG voyager with the $30/ month "internet".

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The only other way to keep unlimited is if you have more than one line and one of those lines is on a tiered plan, transfer any eligible upgrade to the tiered line, then activate the subsidized phone on the tiered line. Once the subsidized phone has been initially activated on the tiered line (very important), then you can switch the new phone to your unlimited line and you won't lose your unlimited data.

It is exactly what I did when I bought my note 2... bought it on my son's tiered line, activated it on his line, then moved it to my unlimited line.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2