[UPDATE] XDA, CyanogenMod joins Google & Wiki on Blackout

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
219cpd5.png

Just like Google and Wikipedia, it seems the XDA & CyanogenMod team are taking the SOPA thing to heart by blacking out their own site in protest of SOPA.

If you’ve been under a rock for the past few months (or unplugged from the internet) SOPA is a bill that — if passed — could essentially end the internet as we know it, all in the name of anti-piracy censorship. This quick video will better explain things.

While Google.com is still up and running (how crazy would it be if they really shut down the heart of the internet?), their statement is clear: “End Piracy, Not Liberty.” Nuff said.

SOURCE: https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/
http://www.xda-developers.com/sopa/

Attachments

• CM-censored-550x162.jpg
    CM-censored-550x162.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 422
Reaction score
I personally fully agree wuth PIPA and SOPA. All this talk of the internet being devastated is ridiculous. It is not about censorship! It is about piracy....a criminal offense that up until now is difficult to do anything about.

If you are not breaking laws, you would not have any negative impact from these bills. Leave it to the media to exaggerate the effects and play on people's emotions to provoke controversy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I personally fully agree wuth PIPA and SOPA. All this talk of the internet being devastated is ridiculous. It is not about censorship! It is about piracy....a criminal offense that up until now is difficult to do anything about.

If you are not breaking laws, you would not have any negative impact from these bills. Leave it to the media to exaggerate the effects and play on people's emotions to provoke controversy.

Not sure why Im wasting my time replying to this, but you clearly lack foresight and have no idea what the bill actually enables the government to do... This site could easily be shut down with the flick of a switch, but then again, you dont care about that do you? This site has at times had copyrighted content host/posted on it, which is ENOUGH to have the site taken offline. These bills do not cover specifics, its all generalizations, for example, remote linking to any site affliated with piracy or copyright infringment... I.E. Just about any website that hosts android roms/tweaks/hacks could easily fall under those catagories. Dont be ignorant, nothing about these bills as they stand is a good thing. The only impact this will have on piracy is enabling old school file sharing such as newsgroups and private FTPs, it will only kill online streaming sites and torrents.

Its censorship, plain and simple. The less involvement the government has in our lives, the better off we are. Dont Believe me? Read this http://gizmodo.com/5877000/what-is-sopa <---- That explains SOPA in a nutshell. Enjoy

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I think Snake Plissken just needs to shut both sides up, punch in the world code, and send us all back to the dark ages!

"The problem's plain to see: too much tech-nol-ogy!"

Reaction score
Not sure why Im wasting my time replying to this, but you clearly lack foresight and have no idea what the bill actually enables the government to do... This site could easily be shut down with the flick of a switch, but then again, you dont care about that do you? This site has at times had copyrighted content host/posted on it, which is ENOUGH to have the site taken offline. These bills do not cover specifics, its all generalizations, for example, remote linking to any site affliated with piracy or copyright infringment... I.E. Just about any website that hosts android roms/tweaks/hacks could easily fall under those catagories. Dont be ignorant, nothing about these bills as they stand is a good thing. The only impact this will have on piracy is enabling old school file sharing such as newsgroups and private FTPs, it will only kill online streaming sites and torrents.

Its censorship, plain and simple. The less involvement the government has in our lives, the better off we are. Dont Believe me? Read this http://gizmodo.com/5877000/what-is-sopa <---- That explains SOPA in a nutshell. Enjoy

Actually I am well versed and know exactly what the bill entails. Could the bill allows sites like this be shutdown? Theoretically yes, but realistically it would not happen. The purpose of the bill is not to go after every little website out there or to prevent kids from posting videos of themselves singing their favorite song on YouTube as the media tries to to convince us with sensationalism.

It is not censorship. Stop drinking the kool-aid!

Android is open source. It is not copyright protected so development is perfectly legal.

Like I said, don't break the law and you have nothing to worry about.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Please keep this discussion civil to avoid conflict and argument.

Reaction score
The statement that "this site could be shut down with the flick of a switch" uses the same self fulfilling misguided nonsense that was used by people when the government wanted the ability to check backgrounds and tap into phone conversations. "Oh, that is an invasion of privacy. I don't want the givernment listening to my personal conversations with my girlfriend." Please, there are bigger fish to fry than a few sites like this dedicated to android development.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Please keep this discussion civil to avoid conflict and argument.

^^This.

We normally don't allow political discussions on DF. However, this one has potential to impact us directly and we would like to keep it open. So please keep this in mind when posting.

Thank you.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The statement that "this site could be shut down with the flick of a switch" uses the same self fulfilling misguided nonsense that was used by people when the government wanted the ability to check backgrounds and tap into phone conversations. "Oh, that is an invasion of privacy. I don't want the givernment listening to my personal conversations with my girlfriend." Please, there are bigger fish to fry than a few sites like this dedicated to android development.

True. This is just like the panic that occurs any time there is some rumor that Verizon will do this or that. The remarks sound like the world is going to come to an end. Scream and holler about nothing and then it just goes away.

orion2001

Reaction score

That is terribly naive. So you want to give media companies all the power they desire in the name of stopping piracy and then "hope" that they won't abuse their new found power? Really?

There are countless examples of media companies illegally and unfairly using DMCA provisions to take down content on websites like Youtube that they do not have any copyright claims over. Most recently, the big uproar about the Megaupload song that one of the media companies took down via DMCA, even though Megaupload had paid for and gotten express consent from all artists involved in the production.

So sure, let's hand the media companies the nuclear option, because clearly they are to be trusted to wield that power responsibly :dry:

Besides, those who are protesting aren't anti anti-piracy, but in fact, are opposed to the overreaching legislation proposed to counter piracy that are nothing short of a power grab by the media companies. In addition, several clauses in the legislation pose a fundamental threat to the very technical backbone of the internet.

The current approach to piracy in SOPA/PIPA is akin to holding construction companies that build our roads and highways responsible for all bank robberies, because the bank robbers use their roads and highways to escape the scene of the crime. So the SOPA/PIPA approach is to force all highways to have checkpoints everywhere to check every single car to make sure one of them isn't a car full of robbers who just robbed a bank. It sure makes a whole lot of sense.

Reaction score
Everyone just needs to chill out and go download some movies or something. :D

No. We need to show them who actually has the Power, as stated in our Constitution and Preamble.

If there is no traffic or next to no traffic, then it should show them that if they do this, then we will no longer go online. And Google shows them that they will leage the internet dead by not continuing (at least until some government agency makes something like Google. But we all know how messed up obamacare is. So imagine how messed up that will be too).

First our freedom of speech goes, then everything else. Makes me sick to my stomach that I fought for these bastards. If they are going to do away with our rights and Constitution -what our Country is based on - what exactly is the point of even having our Constitution?

They've been chipping away at our freedom a little here and a little there for a long time. Especially with the obama administration. And it needs to stop. And it needs to stop NOW!

(Kinda brings home some of my signatures, huh? )