"Update Not Available" (Old system version, backups not working, what a mess!)

oobio

Reaction score
Quick and easy. I want to update to the new ICS (obviously, seeing as I have the same problems as many others) but after a few days I never got it. I came to this site to check it out and realized I may be a bit out of date. My system version is 5.5.886.XT875 and I have never received any sort of update notifications since I first got the phone soon after its release. I've been trying to backup my phone with the backup assistant and Google so I could do a factory reset but everything's just turning into a big mess of confusion and errors.

So my question is, what should I do? I'm looking for the easiest, failsafe method of being able to reset my phone, upgrade to the new ICS, and keep all the important stuff. Is Verizon the best option to upgrade?

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Quick and easy. I want to update to the new ICS (obviously, seeing as I have the same problems as many others) but after a few days I never got it. I came to this site to check it out and realized I may be a bit out of date. My system version is 5.5.886.XT875 and I have never received any sort of update notifications since I first got the phone soon after its release. I've been trying to backup my phone with the backup assistant and Google so I could do a factory reset but everything's just turning into a big mess of confusion and errors.

So my question is, what should I do? I'm looking for the easiest, failsafe method of being able to reset my phone, upgrade to the new ICS, and keep all the important stuff. Is Verizon the best option to upgrade?

The update not available message when checking for updates is from your phone not being recognized by the system properly.(this seem to be a problem with a lot of the phones from Costco)
I had this issue & Motorola determined during the soak test for the first update the problem & the fix was a FDR of the phone. My phone than recognized that it needed an update and has gotten over the air updates ever since.

Here is what I would do in your situation.
Do a fresh re-sync so you are sure everything backed up is recent.
1. If you are using a Gmail account make sure everything is synced to Google server. (settings,apps, email, contacts etc.) If you aren't you may want to get one & sync it.
2. make sure your email account is being synced on the server so it will restore after the update.
3. make sure your contacts are synced with either Google preferably or Verizon back up.
4. check your Google account for your apps so you are familiar with how to get back the ones that don't sync automatically.
5. make sure everything that is on your internal memory (photos & music) is moved to the external Sd memory or to your computer so it will not be lost.
If you have a lot of media I would move it to the computer. This will allow the update to complete much quicker. (The update for some people with a lot of media has taken several hours)
6. make a diagram of what widgets/ shortcuts you have on your home screens.
7. root the phone with Motofail simplest method if you are not on ICS yet.
8. Install Titanium back up from the market & do a back up of all your apps & data.
(This will be the easiest way to get all your apps & settings back if they don't all update automatically from your account.)
9. install Voodoo root keeper from the market & temp. un root (after doing the Titanium back up.)

Now you are ready to update & have the best possible chance of being able to keep all your apps & settings without having to completely redo them manually.

I would do an Factory Data Reset (FDR) from the system settings menu under Privacy.
This should get your phone to be recognized from the server so it will pull the update & continue to get updates down the road. Everything on the internal memory & apps will be erased. The phone will be just like it came out of the box when you got it.
Activate it, check for update & see if it pulls the update(s)

If it updates skip the next step.

If it does not update, than go to this thread guide to use rsdlite to install 246 ics fxz-updated-10-24-2012-a.html & do an FXZ to ICS this will put your phone up to date just like it would come from Verizon with ICS. All the instructions & files are there you need for this part.

When it is updated:
1. activate it & sync it.
2. install Voodoo root keeper from the market & install root again.
3. Install Titanium back up & restore all your apps, app data & settings. (do not install system data. As that is Ginger Bread system data & not compatible with ICS)

Last edited:
OP
O

oobio

Reaction score
Wow, I'm sure if that was copy and pasted or you wrote it out just now, but either way thank you very much!