Update Fails on Rooted DX

Reaction score
Ever since yesterday my rooted DX keeps pestering me to install updates, I keep tapping "later". Is there any way to stop these alerts? I wouldn't mind getting Gingerbread, but I'm hesitant to go through the unrooting hassle. If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate it!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
too late for that, just use root explorer to go to /cache and delete the update zip in there.

OP
S
Reaction score
I think I can probably do it with System App Uninstaller. There is something called Upgrader.apk, which may be it, but I'm afraid if I uninstall it, it might mess something else up!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just use a file explorer with root access and delete the zip. Its already downloaded so its too late to get rid of the updater. You need to move the download out of the /cache

OP
S
Reaction score
Actually, I'm thinking about unrooting. Do I just go back to factory specs, and then reinstall all the apps I want from the Market? Just not sure if being rooted is for me, originally did it because I wanted to be able to do a complete backup...but haven't ever had the need for it. Also, I would lose the ability to tether to my Transformer, but once again, I have never needed to do that. What do you think?

leftspin

Reaction score
Actually, I'm thinking about unrooting. Do I just go back to factory specs, and then reinstall all the apps I want from the Market? Just not sure if being rooted is for me, originally did it because I wanted to be able to do a complete backup...but haven't ever had the need for it. Also, I would lose the ability to tether to my Transformer, but once again, I have never needed to do that. What do you think?

If you're not getting any real benefit from being rooted then you probably don't need it. You don't overclock? And have no interest in custom ROMs?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

androidgeek

Reaction score
Ever since yesterday my rooted DX keeps pestering me to install updates, I keep tapping "later". Is there any way to stop these alerts? I wouldn't mind getting Gingerbread, but I'm hesitant to go through the unrooting hassle. If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate it!

I sbf'd and didn't wipe data, then took the update and rerooted. Worked like a charm! Took me all of 20 minutes. Make sure you use the .602 sbf and it should work. Well that is if that's what you're on?

OP
S
Reaction score
[QUOTEI sbf'd and didn't wipe data, then took the update and rerooted.][/QUOTE] My problem is that I uninstalled a lot of the bloatware after I rooted, so if I unrooted, the update still wouldn't take...right? BTW - what does "sbf'd" mean?

androidgeek

Reaction score
You can use a program to flash back to stock. Dig around the forums for tutorials on doing so. Really easy, and should get you back to where you need to be.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
S
Reaction score
[Ever since yesterday my rooted DX keeps pestering me to install updates, I keep tapping "later". Is there any way to stop these alerts?]
Just wanted to report that I found an easy way of turning off those pesky update alerts, hoping it might help someone in a similar situation. Installed a nifty free app called Bloat Freezer, which simply froze my Updater...one tap, voila!