Update Failed?

Concistency

Reaction score
Ok, so here is where I am at, I used REL3ASED ROOT to restore my Bionic to stock. I chose option "1" to root my phone when done with 4EV3R root. My phone is now rooted on .886. I never did weptop hack or any of that, didn't install any leaks either. I just used TH3ORY ROM and ECLIPSE. Whenever I go to receive the OTA Update, it never installs, it says "install failed". I can't get the update on my phone, any help much appreciated? And also, I used Safestrap, maybe that's causing something?

Last edited:

wseyller

Reaction score
Ok, so here is where I am at, I used REL3ASED ROOT to restore my Bionic to stock. I chose option "1" to root my phone when done with 4EV3R root. My phone is now rooted on .886. I never did weptop hack or any of that, didn't install any leaks either. I just used TH3ORY ROM and ECLIPSE. Whenever I go to receive the OTA Update, it never installs, it says "install failed". I can't get the update on my phone, any help much appreciated? And also, I used Safestrap, maybe that's causing something?

Are you trying to flash it via safestrap? If so then it wont work. If you are manually trying to install the ota you have to use the stock recovery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
C

Concistency

Reaction score
Are you trying to flash it via safestrap? If so then it wont work. If you are manually trying to install the ota you have to use the stock recovery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

This can be closed, my problem was solved after a few hours. I downloaded the update on stock, then updated manually so I could see what the error was. I had that "com.motorola.zumocast" error. I downloaded the file, pasted it in the preinstall directory, updated successfully, still rooted on 5.5.893.

gmorgan056

Reaction score
I was getting the same error message and did th same thing as you, but mine still won't install. Have no idea what's going on. still getting the same message even though i moved the file.

hhamade

Reaction score
I installed leaked 5.7.893 then ran released to get me back to factory. Now i can't install the update. Get a apply_patch_check ("mtd.... error them shows /tmp/sideload/package.zip. any clue how to fix?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Mfinchv1

Reaction score
where is this file downloading to??? Ive downloaded it several times...but can never find it!! lol

Mfinchv1

Reaction score
and what I meant is the ota download directory....plus...It says via download its 5.5.893...but I never see that file name....so it makes.me think im in the wrong directory!!

FantomPhlasher

Reaction score
and what I meant is the ota download directory....plus...It says via download its 5.5.893...but I never see that file name....so it makes.me think im in the wrong directory!!

Look in /cache

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
C

Concistency

Reaction score
I was getting the same error message and did th same thing as you, but mine still won't install. Have no idea what's going on. still getting the same message even though i moved the file.
Did you move it to "/preinstall"?

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
I can't get the OTA update to install. I am rooted and used the 43ver root method. I had to do a factory reset as this is my second bionic and they changed the sim card so I wasn't even on the update path. After reset the upgrade option was there. It went through the update process, rebooted, but install failed. (No reason given.). So, I'm stuck in 886. Any suggestions? My phone isn't causing me too many problems and I rooted for wifi tether, as well as exchange email. I don't want to risk losing that but want to get updates, especially if ICS comes out.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I can't get the OTA update to install. I am rooted and used the 43ver root method. I had to do a factory reset as this is my second bionic and they changed the sim card so I wasn't even on the update path. After reset the upgrade option was there. It went through the update process, rebooted, but install failed. (No reason given.). So, I'm stuck in 886. Any suggestions? My phone isn't causing me too many problems and I rooted for wifi tether, as well as exchange email. I don't want to risk losing that but want to get updates, especially if ICS comes out.

rooting shouldnt affect the update, did you freeze or delete any pre-installed apps?

karenjnadeau

Reaction score
Also shouldn't the forever root link have brought me back to stock if I hadn't done it correctly?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I flashed back to stock so nothing should be frozen.

this is your second phone, im assuming its a refirb?
the problem is this,if the person who had it before you flashed 893 or 901(unlikely) parts of the phone are ahead of what they should be on the 886 system so the update fails.
i cant say for sure this is your issue but there are very few things that would cause the update to fail.
i could suggest a script that will root and get you to 893 if your up for it (its really easy), let me know and ill post details.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Also shouldn't the forever root link have brought me back to stock if I hadn't done it correctly?

i would think yes, it really doesnt take you off stock except for root.
the only way to do it wrong is choose the wrong option, wouldnt do anything to your phone, script just fails.