Update broke my wifi

MarieMT

Reaction score
I update to 4.4.2 yesterday and since the update my phone's wifi will not work properly. If the phone has been on for more than a few minutes without having wifi on, it will not pick up my network at all when I turn on wifi. If I leave wifi on, then reboot, it picks up network immediately upon starting up. But then a few minutes later it drops the connection and I cant get it back, even though it shows my network in the list of networks.

I dont think it's a problem with my router, as I am using the wifi on my tablet to post this message.

I have never rooted or hacked my phone in any way. I have just installed apps from the play store or amazon.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
KitKat is considered a major update and it's common practice to do a factory reset after receiving the update to avoid any potential hiccups such as the one you're running into. An FDR should remedy the wifi issue you're having.

OP
M

MarieMT

Reaction score
KitKat is considered a major update and it's common practice to do a factory reset after receiving the update to avoid any potential hiccups such as the one you're running into. An FDR should remedy the wifi issue you're having.

Thanks for you reply! Doesn't that mean that I would lose everything that's on my phone? I'd hate to go to all the trouble of restoring everything just to find that the FDR didn't fix the problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem and had an FDR fix the issue?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks for you reply! Doesn't that mean that I would lose everything that's on my phone? I'd hate to go to all the trouble of restoring everything just to find that the FDR didn't fix the problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem and had an FDR fix the issue?
You'd basically be starting over. However, if you have them set, your photos and contacts are backed up to your google account. Your text messages can be saved with SMS backup and Restore(my personal app of choice). And iirc, this was years ago before I got into the rooting game, I believe the app "MyBackupPro" was the app, allows you to backup apps and information for an easier restoration later.

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
I agree with dezymond and a whole lot of other experts and users, who say that after a major update, an FDR is the way to go. Apparently not everyone has problems with it, but if you do a search, you'll see that there are a wide range of issues that many, many people experienced after this update, including various WiFi issues. And since you're having this problem, there may very well be other issues that crop up down the line.

That said, if you really don't want to do a factory reset, there are a few things that won't hurt to try, and may help.

*It's often recommended to try connecting to WiFi at a friend's house or a public hot spot, and see if you experience the same issue. If you don't have the problem elsewhere, then rebooting your home router often fixes it.(yes, even if your other devices have been connecting just fine)

*Another thing to try: In your Wifi settings, select your network, and choose to 'forget' the network
Turn WiFi off, then back on
Enter your network information again and see how it works. (I reboot after re-establishing the network, but I don't think it's necessary)

*Something that worked for me when I had WiFi issues on one of my devices whenever it went to 'sleep'
was to go into advanced settings and choose to have WiFi stay on during sleep.

NOVICE

Reaction score
Wifi disfunction is a notorious side-effect of KitKat. As are battery problems.

For some a factory reset works. For others, not so much. Some are returning their phones for a refurbished model. Some are waiting for an update.

My Note 3 worked flawlessly from the day they went on sale. After KitKat the Android System runs out of control, the battery self destructs, and for the first time the phone feels warm in my hand.

I'm rebooting on Monday. Clearing the partition didn't work.

What pisses me off: I bought this phone for cash at full price. Verizon doesn't own my phone but I wasn't given the option to refuse the KitKat upgrade.

Read the Verizon tech site and note that they aren't exactly transparent with regards to the consequences of the KitKat update for some of their customers.

NOVICE

Reaction score
Let me add, I fantasize as I lay in bed at night about bringing a class action suit against Verizon on behalf of those similarly situated, namely, individuals who tried to refuse the KitKat upgrade.
But it is simply a fantasy. I'm a lawyer but haven't a clue, or the time, to initiate this type of litigation. But if someone else does I'd love to be a lead plaintiff.

OP
M

MarieMT

Reaction score
Well, I gave in and did the FDR. It seems to have taken care of the Wi-Fi problem. I was also having delays with sending out text messages and that seems to be fixed as well. Thanks all for your input!!

OP
M

MarieMT

Reaction score
I wrote too soon - the problem is back. The wi-fi worked great for a few hours and now it's doing the same thing again. I did find a post on the Verizon forums about bluetooth interfering with wifi and that does seem to be the problem. With bluetooth turned on, wifi quits working. Turn bluetooth off and wifi starts working again. Hopefully they will come out with a fix for this very soon.

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Ah, sorry that the FDR didn't cure the problem, but at least you know what's causing it, for what that's worth. I hope they put out a fix too.