Update 905 fails

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
nobreak1970 said:
Are you sure you unfroze everything that you froze???

EDIT: Good Lord my english! "Unfroze"....defrosted a better term. :)

U do not need to unfreeze anything

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
drawbridgep said:
Update failed.
I unfroze (defrosted) everything and it still failed
So unrooted, which failed. Or half failed. It thinks I'm rooted, but can't run anything that requires a root.
So rerooted and manually removed SU bin and superuser.
Update still failed. But superoneclick now thinks I'm not rooted.
Tried to root again and superoneclick now crashes at #5

So I currently have a stock .902 phone, with a ton of bloat, unable to run as a hotspot or run titanium backup.

But whatever. I'm reluctant to do a factory reset and not sure it would help anyway. I'll probably wait for ICS and then try again.

Rooting or freezing apps will not cause an install failure only major system alterations like boot animation an uninstalling apps ect. Will plus boot strap an safestrap will cause it to fail if u havent uninstalled the recovery not the app

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
bassman1547 said:
Same problem. Rooted.stock.voodoo.no frozen apps. Titanium bu. Bionic bootstrap. Rom manager.
Received OTA. Did temporary unroot. Downloaded 905. Install.....nope. no go.
I thought I had done everything I needed to, but must be something else. It looks like it reboots into recovery and begins to install, then..the exclamation mark. Boots up to .902.

Go to the bionic general discussion ill bump a thread i created so u can see what u need to do it named bionic OTA update preperations

drawbridgep

Reaction score
Go to the bionic general discussion ill bump a thread i created so u can see what u need to do it named bionic OTA update preperations

Thanks! I think that's working. I got back to stock .902 and now the .905 update has got further than before....

update - Now running .905!! Just got to root, install Titanium and restore all my apps now.......

update update - Now rooted, installed Titanium and restoring my apps and data! I almost feel like I know what I'm doing.

Last edited:

balls4679

Reaction score
hey all i am new and have the stock bionic i recivied the 5.9.905 update this morning and i am now experiencing when i open my browser,text,f.b i try to type and nothing comes up. i have read that this was an old existing problem but not sure if update has something to do with this. every time i lock screen i get a text message i have to force close to be able to type. if u can help i really appreciate it.

bparent

Reaction score
If you have run V6-Supercharged scripts then this will cause the 905 OTA to fail. Just re-run script and choose options 14 and 15 to undo kernal and memory tweaks and re-try the update. Worked for me.

bassman1547

Reaction score
Timmy10shoes helped me get back my droid with a step by step FXZ folder and with his help I was able to reflash my .902.
I'v have tried everything I know to download and install .905. OTA=nope. I am at a loss.
I was going to try and reflash my .902, but cant even get that get that right. Geez! I want to kick my own arse!!
So, I must turn to those more knowledgeable than myself for assistance. I have several posts on this thread already, but forgot to mention the reflash. Is this perhaps the reason I cannot update to .905?

eye_dea

Reaction score
bassman1547 said:
Timmy10shoes helped me get back my droid with a step by step FXZ folder and with his help I was able to reflash my .902.
I'v have tried everything I know to download and install .905. OTA=nope. I am at a loss.
I was going to try and reflash my .902, but cant even get that get that right. Geez! I want to kick my own arse!!
So, I must turn to those more knowledgeable than myself for assistance. I have several posts on this thread already, but forgot to mention the reflash. Is this perhaps the reason I cannot update to .905?

What did you modify after you got back to 902 stock?

bassman1547

Reaction score
What did you modify after you got back to 902 stock?

Nothing, other than root (motfail) , and other root tools like Titanium Backup, root toolbox, Bionic bootstrap, and Rom Manager.
:pI haven't been able to nandroid backup either. there are some "orphaned files" in Titanium, but I havent messed with them. And voodoo.

Last edited:

eye_dea

Reaction score
Go into ota rootkeeper app and unprotect root. Then restore a 902 nandroid that is completely stock (root is ok). Then protect root again, temp unroot, and take 905. Then restore root.

bassman1547

Reaction score
How? Being unrooted.. I temp uprooted, shut down, held down both volume buttons, pressed power and it goes into fast boot mode. Don't know what to do to get to a nadroid, if I even have one. :-(

eye_dea

Reaction score
How? Being unrooted.. I temp uprooted, shut down, held down both volume buttons, pressed power and it goes into fast boot mode. Don't know what to do to get to a nadroid, if I even have one. :-(

You make nandroids in bootstrap or safestrap. You don't temp unroot until your taking the 905 update.
If you don't have a nandroid available, then you will need to reflash the system.img.

bassman1547

Reaction score
You make nandroids in bootstrap or safestrap. You don't temp unroot until your taking the 905 update.
If you don't have a nandroid available, then you will need to reflash the system.img.

Thanks for the advice eye_dea. I am in process of reflashing .902. Just waiting now.

UPDATE: After I re-flashed .902 , I was able to update to .905, so Sucess!! Thanks for the great sight, and the helpful, knowlagble contributors who haunt this site!

UPDATE 2: I used sargetmajords' method. Thank you for that.

Last edited:

lgalcarte

Reaction score
I keep getting the "update available install now or later" message but when I choose to update it goes through the whole process, reboots and then says update failed. All of this (go back to stock 902, unroot, reroot, etc. like that's all sooo easy) sounds way to confusing and like too much work when my Bionic is working great and I have no complaints at the moment (running 5.9.902.XT875.Verizon.en.US, rooted without any ROM). I think I'm just going to leave it alone. ICS might be a reason to mess with all of this but I'm happy right now. I'd hate to go through all of this to find I now have the data drop issues others are reporting with the new update. Any idea how I can stop getting the update message to keep appearing? Thanks.