Unroot Help

Syndacate

Reaction score
Hey,

I rooted my phone (Galaxy S Fascinate) using the Titanium Backup root. I haven't had time to read ANYTHING about rooting phones, so I don't even know what that did in terms of what it allowed.

The problem is, my camera is broken, it's been iffy since day one but I thought it was a SW problem; it progressively got worse and now it always fails to contact the camera and the camera is completely useless on it.

I thought about taking it to the VZW store today, but wanted to unroot it first.

I'm assuming I just can't uninstall superuser and titanium backup? How do I unroot this phone and make it as if it was never rooted. I really don't know anything about what I did (I know, smart, right?), so I can't say much for the current terms/methodologies and such, so simple English works best :p.

Also, is it possible to do a raw dump from one phone to the next? I'm assuming they're going to replace it and not take it apart and try to fix the camera, I don't have much on the SD card, a few pictures, which is obviously easily transferable, but will I have to re-download my apps? Or am I better off backing them up? I'm definitely worried about all the personal info in Gmail.

What can I do?

Thanks for your time..

lieblax

Reaction score
It is definitely possible to unroot, I think it just matters how you did it. I rooted using z4root, and that gave me the option to unroot, so I was able to remove the superuser and bring mine back to verizon after a screwed it up.

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
It is definitely possible to unroot, I think it just matters how you did it. I rooted using z4root, and that gave me the option to unroot, so I was able to remove the superuser and bring mine back to verizon after a screwed it up.

I'm not even sure how I did it. I downloaded some 'titanium backup' app, ran some script, and superuser came around.

That's part of the problem, that I don't know what I did exactly, but I'm sure somebody around here knows this particular root, and what it did, and how to un-do it.

The camera was failing since day one, I just thought it was SW related, but now it's out for good (got progressively worse), and if it was SW related, I'm sure there'd be tons of info about this on the net, but I can't find any, which makes me think it was just a defective camera (or connection to). So now I have to figure out how to get it back to normal, then figure out what VZW will let me do transfer wise, as I'm sure I gotta get a new one out of this.

Luckily it's under warranty I suppose. Kinda wish I could get another one, I'm starting to hate this phone. It's great and all...and the screen real-estate seemed great in the store...but A) It's too much screen, too hard for your thumb to cross it all, and B) For 1Ghz it's slow as **** in terms of the UI.

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
Oh yeah, not to mention the fact that VZW doesn't give a **** about this phone, it's like the only droid based phone in the world running 2.1, UI is sluggish at times, no LED, glitchy everything - list just goes on :-\

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Have you tried a factory reset to see if it clears everything out? Also, there are still lots of phones out there running 2.1 and some even running 2.0. Look for the Backflip, for example.

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
Have you tried a factory reset to see if it clears everything out? Also, there are still lots of phones out there running 2.1 and some even running 2.0. Look for the Backflip, for example.

If I factory reset don't I lose EVERYTHING? I'm not looking to lose everything...I'm surprised nobody on here knows what this root is, I would have thought rooting was big in a droid forum yet it's like nobody knows anything about it..

As for the 'lot of phones running 2.1 and 2.0' - Mostly aren't phones that are actively being sold by VZW. The Fascinate is, and they don't give a **** about it..

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Remove super user and then grab z4root or universal androot and try and use those apps to unroot.

Or sbf, but then you will lose everything unless you back it up.

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
Remove super user and then grab z4root or universal androot and try and use those apps to unroot.

Or sbf, but then you will lose everything unless you back it up.

{{ WugFresh }}

Just remove super user like, uninstall it? I'm sure I can find z4root or universal androot if I just google them?

What's SBF? Can I use titanium backup to back it all up..or is there something else I should use?

lieblax

Reaction score
Sbf is what you use with dslite to get your phone back to stock. You can google it but I think that will erase all your stuff. First I would try downloading z4root from the market and see if you can unroot it using that.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Sbf is what you use with dslite to get your phone back to stock. You can google it but I think that will erase all your stuff. First I would try downloading z4root from the market and see if you can unroot it using that.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
Nice of you to try and help...but you more than likely just confused the OP even more...:)

What you meant to say was, "You need RSD Lite in conjunction with a known good SBF file in order to get the phone back to stock using the SBF method."

Also, SBF`ing "back to stock" will surely "lose all his stuff", since a new stock phone wouldnt have any of "his stuff" on it...:)

You cant download z4root from the market anymore. He needs to do a Google search and go to the first link that pops up...should look a lot like XDA Forums...

Hope ya get fixed OP...

BTW, this forum knows a lot about rooting...what it doesnt obviously know, is how to root with Titanium Back-Up, since thats not what Titanium was designed to do. If I had to guess, and I do, you rooted with an older method and may have forgotten what it was...

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
@BodyBagz
Thanks for correcting that misleading info.

@OP
my bad for not checking back and for giving you a short non detailed answer. BodyBagz is correct, if you were to go the route of sbf'ing you would need to hunt down an sbf file specifically for your phone and bootloader version, you would need to download and install RSDlite, and download and install the latest drivers for your phone.

RSDlite_4.8
RSDlite_4.9

I personally use 4.8 that's why I gave you both.

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
BodyBagz said:
Nice of you to try and help...but you more than likely just confused the OP even more...

What you meant to say was, "You need RSD Lite in conjunction with a known good SBF file in order to get the phone back to stock using the SBF method."

Also, SBF`ing "back to stock" will surely "lose all his stuff", since a new stock phone wouldnt have any of "his stuff" on it...

You cant download z4root from the market anymore. He needs to do a Google search and go to the first link that pops up...should look a lot like XDA Forums...

Hope ya get fixed OP...

BTW, this forum knows a lot about rooting...what it doesnt obviously know, is how to root with Titanium Back-Up, since thats not what Titanium was designed to do. If I had to guess, and I do, you rooted with an older method and may have forgotten what it was...

Yeah, I forgot how titanium backup was involved, I do remember it ran an executable though, which did the actual rooting, I remember because I was quite uncomfortable not knowing what it was doing but was too tired to care.

Just downloaded z4root now, I'll give it a shot, let you guys know what happens.

I'm guessing the SBF file is an image of a stock state?

What's the 'main method' people use now-a-days to root? I'm guessing z4root?

I'm not even sure what the root allows for, can't you load any apps you want already via developer mode? Only other thing I can think of is it gives you access to system config files.

WugFresh said:
@BodyBagz
Thanks for correcting that misleading info.

@OP
my bad for not checking back and for giving you a short non detailed answer. BodyBagz is correct, if you were to go the route of sbf'ing you would need to hunt down an sbf file specifically for your phone and bootloader version, you would need to download and install RSDlite, and download and install the latest drivers for your phone.

RSDlite_4.8
RSDlite_4.9

I personally use 4.8 that's why I gave you both.

{{ WugFresh }}

So the SBF is the image of how it came from VZW, if I get the one for my phone & bootloader it can re-flash using the SBF...question:
If RSDlite is an app for the phone, that means it's flashing internally, this is typically bad because it's dangerous. Or is there an external flash trick to fix a brick? Luckily BB's were all externally flashed so I never had the pleasure of bricking my old phone o_O.

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
BTW:
Is there any quick way to tell if the phone is rooted or not? Like trying to gain access to a particular file or folder? I'm j/w when I can check to determine whether it was unrooted or rooted successfully.

I put z4root 1.3.0 on there, and hit "unroot" - not sure what that did, if it was a different root technique it could have done nothing or screwed things up. Or it could have been the same root technique and it could have worked fine...not sure which.

The phone itself appears to work fine though...not sure if that means anything..

lieblax

Reaction score
BTW:
Is there any quick way to tell if the phone is rooted or not? Like trying to gain access to a particular file or folder? I'm j/w when I can check to determine whether it was unrooted or rooted successfully.

I put z4root 1.3.0 on there, and hit "unroot" - not sure what that did, if it was a different root technique it could have done nothing or screwed things up. Or it could have been the same root technique and it could have worked fine...not sure which.

The phone itself appears to work fine though...not sure if that means anything..

You could always check to see if the superuser icon is still there. Or try to run an app that requires superuser access

OP
Syndacate

Syndacate

Reaction score
BTW:

You could always check to see if the superuser icon is still there. Or try to run an app that requires superuser access

The super user icon is still there, yes. I didn't do ANYTHING with the root, including installing any apps that would require SU privileges. Are there any that come on the phone that I can try navigating to and running?

I noticed that z4root has a "temporary" and "permanent" root...what's the difference in terms of what it does...because I'm thinking maybe the root I did before was a permanent root..which would mean I gotta SBF it...and I really don't want to do that..

So anybody have any other suggestions?